Which Grouper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I've got 5 pictures here of Groupers for which I just can't quite make up my mind as to their ID. The pictures represent 3 individuals and I think they may all be of the same species but I need some help.

I'm debating between Epinephelus polyphekadion and Epinephelus coeruleopunctatus and I seem to lean more towards the former. Having said that, I'm not sure if I should be considering E. ongus or E. fuscoguttatus as well.

The pictures were all taken at Sodwana on the South African east coast and at a depth of something between 15m and 20m. I would estimate that they were around 60cm tip to tail.

Picture 1, Individual 1
Epinephelus_1.jpg

Picture 2 & 3, Individual 2
Epinephelus_2.jpg

Epinephelus_3.jpg

Picture 4 & 5, Individual 3
Epinephelus_4.jpg

Epinephelus_5.jpg

Epinephelus polyphekadion and E. fuscoguttatus should have a "dark saddle" marking on the tail base (larger mark on E. polyphekadion).

Excellent, thanks for that. You're just a wealth of info aren't you Vie? I'm still not sure what Grouper I have here and whether indeed it is one species and not more than one perhaps. At least I know it can't be E. polyphekadion or E. fuscoguttatus due to the absence of the black saddle. I'll definitely remember that one for future use.

I was wondering about those speckles around the mouth (looks like a three day old beard). I couldn't find these spots on any pictures that I have for E. coeruleopunctatus which is why I was leaning towards E. polyphekadion.

I seriously doubt that it would be E. ongus but I'm starting to wonder if it couldn't be Cephalopholis sonnerati also? Do you have any opinion on C. sonnerati?

Thanks again for the help.

I was wondering about those speckles around the mouth (looks like a three day old beard). I couldn't find these spots on any pictures that I have for E. coeruleopunctatus which is why I was leaning towards E. polyphekadion.

Yep, I think we can probably rule out E. caeruleopunctatus. According to my copy of Allen, Steene, Humann & DeLoach, E. caeruleopunctatus has black "pectoral, anal and convex tail fins" and is "only grouper to have underlying netted pattern."

I seriously doubt that it would be E. ongus...

Agree.

...but I'm starting to wonder if it couldn't be Cephalopholis sonnerati also? Do you have any opinion on C. sonnerati?

No idea... The colours/patterns on those guys are so variable I'm amazed we got this far. :p

has black "pectoral, anal and convex tail fins"
Yeah, that seems to be consistent in all the pictures I've found of E. caeruleopunctatus.

and is "only grouper to have underlying netted pattern."
I'm not sure I really understand what that means but never mind, I think I'll step off E. caeruleopunctatus.

No idea... The colours/patterns on those guys are so variable I'm amazed we got this far. :p
:D
Seems these Groupers are indeed as tough as they say. Thanks for the help anyway, I'll keep them in the "unidentified" folder. Maybe some other day I'll get new inspiration and return to them.

Back
Top Bottom