Which Hawaiian island is best for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that's true. Some people stick to places they love and some of us like to venture out and about. There is a Facebook group called Kona Reefers. You can join it and look for local divers to go out with if you want. If I'm not busy, I'm happy to go out and dive with you or recommend some sites.

People can get a little squirrely, as well, about sharing a site because they don't want them to get crowded with tourists. Same with beaches. Seriously, I've had people tell me off for telling guests at my vacation rental about my favorite places that they should check out. For Pete's sake. Big Island Revealed has already given away all of the beaches if you check it out in depth or pick up older versions of the darn book.

I know I mentioned it already, but on the Big Island you are climbing over lava rock to get in and out of the water. You need to PAY ATTENTION. I am currently on crutches for two more weeks after busting up my ankle getting out of the water on a shore dive last week.
Sorry to hear this...Where did you dive?

I do not believe the Big Island is in danger of being overcrowded with tourist any time soon. And in any case, most tourists stay at whatever resort they came to stay, and maybe get out on a bus tour once or twice. Most visiting scuba divers dive from the boats and/or take a trip on Kona Aggressor. I'd be more worried about local poachers and fish collector types when sharing secrets.

I know I mentioned it already, but on the Big Island you are climbing over lava rock to get in and out of the water. You need to PAY ATTENTION. I am currently on crutches for two more weeks after busting up my ankle getting out of the water on a shore dive last week.
I like the felt-soled dive booties for Kona diving, for this reason. They are game changers for sure footing on wet rock. They are the worst for boat deck traction though, so choose wisely.

I like the felt-soled dive booties for Kona diving, for this reason. They are game changers for sure footing on wet rock. They are the worst for boat deck traction though, so choose wisely.
Yep, felt has very good traction on lava. Likely, this is why almost every dive shop in Kona sells these.

Yep, felt has very good traction on lava. Likely, this is why almost every dive shop in Kona sells these.
Also possibly because of Japanese tourists, who love the felt soles.

Sorry to hear this...Where did you dive?

I do not believe the Big Island is in danger of being overcrowded with tourist any time soon. And in any case, most tourists stay at whatever resort they came to stay, and maybe get out on a bus tour once or twice. Most visiting scuba divers dive from the boats and/or take a trip on Kona Aggressor. I'd be more worried about local poachers and fish collector types when sharing secrets.

I had just finished a fantastic dive at the turtle cleaning station in Puako. One bad step and BAM!

Agreed, most visitors boat dive, but some go out from shore...And there's no one here now or for the foreseeable future so it's a moot point.

The aquarium collectors have boats. They don't care about the shore diving sites. The jerks.

I had just finished a fantastic dive at the turtle cleaning station in Puako. One bad step and BAM!

Agreed, most visitors boat dive, but some go out from shore...And there's no one here now or for the foreseeable future so it's a moot point.

The aquarium collectors have boats. They don't care about the shore diving sites. The jerks.
Is this the dive by the church? The entrance there is tougher than it seems. Hope you get well soon!

Is this the dive by the church? The entrance there is tougher than it seems. Hope you get well soon!

It was at House 38.

Thanks! I hope I get better soon, too. :) I'm really bad at this crutches thing.

I've always been a bit surprised about the casual recommendations for shore diving Puako. Every access point seems pretty tricky, and goes from tricky but manageable to near-deadly with very little worsening of conditions. Even end of the road has a pretty low threshold for swell height before it becomes harrowing.

I've always been a bit surprised about the casual recommendations for shore diving Puako. Every access point seems pretty tricky, and goes from tricky but manageable to near-deadly with very little worsening of conditions. Even end of the road has a pretty low threshold for swell height before it becomes harrowing.

I just had a really harrowing experience at Old Airport a few weeks ago. A swell came in while we were out diving, so it was nice and calm when we got in and I couldn't find the ledge 90 minutes later when I went to get out. I already had my fins off and got banged face first into the rocks and ended up about 15 feet away from the point to get out. Thank goodness I'd had my mask on and my regulator in my mouth at the time. A shore fisherman helped get my partner out and one of my other dive buddies helped get me out. I think I'd still be out there treading water if they hadn't been there. Still ended up bruised all around my upper nose.

You're right, though. Shore diving here can be tricky, that's for sure!

I just had a really harrowing experience at Old Airport a few weeks ago. A swell came in while we were out diving, so it was nice and calm when we got in and I couldn't find the ledge 90 minutes later when I went to get out. I already had my fins off and got banged face first into the rocks and ended up about 15 feet away from the point to get out. Thank goodness I'd had my mask on and my regulator in my mouth at the time. A shore fisherman helped get my partner out and one of my other dive buddies helped get me out. I think I'd still be out there treading water if they hadn't been there. Still ended up bruised all around my upper nose.

You're right, though. Shore diving here can be tricky, that's for sure!
Did you enter in the cove? That spot looks gnarly when the wind chop gets up but I have yet to have a problem getting out there, provided I angle in to the left/west back corner if the swell is up. That's the thing about Kona shore diving, almost any spot quickly becomes dangerous if the swell is up at all. My rule of thumb is 1.5ft max on the magicseaweed.com forecast for most anywhere except 2-step and Old Airport, and that is especially true for Puako where you also have to watch the tide status. Any place that water can move in and out or stream up over the shoreline bench can get really bad. It is unnerving to be close the rocks when the water is sloshing and too bubbled to see anything, but give me the elevator motion without lateral current up against the bench in 15 or 20 ft of water, over the shallow entry/exit anytime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom