Which HP spool for Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacomo

Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought a pre owned Cobra. Can anyone tell me which HP spool is needed to connect to a standard HP hose?

I'm not sure exactly as I don't have an old one to compare it to. My used unit came without a hose and I didn't even know I needed a spool until I tried to attach it to my hose. I find exactly three spools everywhere I've looked online but have yet to find any kind of application chart anywhere. I purchased one like the first one you linked to, it was listed as an A142. It fits perfectly into the bore on both the hose and the Cobra, however it seems like it needs to be longer as it does not seat fully into both sides. Maybe it isn't supposed to, I don't really know, but doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't.

Contact John Allen, #610-631-2288, Email: john@northeastscubasupply.com, and ask him which air spool you need for your cobra, the straight or the tee. He can send you the right one.

Push your A142 spool all the way into the Cobra end. If it sticks out more than about 5/16", you're fine. The seal happens anywhere along the bores of both the hose fitting and the computer fitting. The key is not having a bore so long in either component that the spool buries itself in that part, and the o-ring on the other end pops out of its bore (land). It is the oring that makes the seal, as you know, and you just have to make sure that both o-rings stay in contact with their respective lands.

That's the reason for the other design. Although it's short, the flange keeps the spool centered, so both o-rings stay in contact with their lands.
The problem with the flanged spool is that not all connections have enough space for the flange itself. In those connections, both metal parts butt right against each other.

OK, so the spool isn't supposed to bottom out in both sides, but just kind of floats. I guess that makes sense now that I think about it. That being the case, then the spool I have should work fine. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm putting together my first set of equipment (have just rented up to this point) so I've never had the hose off from an SPG or computer before and wasn't sure exactly how it was supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom