Which is better the Mares Akros or Voltrex?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timakempton

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently picked up 2 sets of second hand Mares regs both are MR12 1st's but one has an Akros second and the other a Voltrex. Which is the better second stage? They are both older versions. I know the Voltrex was renamed the Abyss, But I have no idea which of these was regarded as the more up-market when they were new. Any opinions?

Tiny Tim

The Voltrex. I have an older Voltrex, and also a pair newer Abyss 2nd's, and they are essentially the same (internally and performance).

Maybe due to the brass orifice in the Voltrex (vs plastic orifice found in newer Abyss) I am able to get a slightly better "tune" on the Voltrex when I service it, which is saying a lot, since the Abyss 2nd's are very nice breathers for unbalanced downstream 2nd's.

Best wishes.

The performance difference will be minimal. I have made many dives with both designs, and used two Akros second stages for my technical diving needs for nearly a decade.

The Voltrex is actually the same as an Abyss. The Abyss was fitted with a larger diameter LP hose and was normally fitted to the MR22 first stage.

The Voltrex is simpler, and easier to rebuild.

The Akros offers easy cracking effort adjustment. Personally, I would use the Voltrex due to its robust design and benefits of a metal second stage. I currently use Proton Metal second stages.

Greg Barlow

I had a voltrex, and have 2 Abyss 2nd stages. They are essentially the same and are great breathers.

Back
Top Bottom