Which is the best GoPro Camera to get for Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have recently started scuba diving and will be going to Belize in a few months to do an internship rescuing crocodiles but will also be spending a lot of my spare time in the reefs there.

I want a good quality camera but I don't know which to get since there are so many different GoPro Cameras!

I want something good enough quality that I could watch it in HD and it'd be smooth and crystal clear but I don't particularly want unecessary extras. Diving depth isn't too much of a concern but clarity is something I really want when filming close up details of coral reefs and sharks etc.

I don't know if its worth going for a GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition or whether a previous or lower version will do the job just as well and save me money minus some features. Things like the wifi feature I don't need since I will film and then transfer to my laptop for editing.

Extras I am considering but not sure about are an LCD BacPac so I can actually see what I am filming and also a handle of some sort.
I loved the look of Big Blue Scuba diving kit: ww.amazon.com/BigBlue-Underwater-System-Action-Camera/dp/B00H3R2UNI/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1399336704&sr=8-30&keywords=GoPro+scuba+diving
Easy and comfortable to hold and will provide still shots and also a little bit of protection from curious sharks! Which accessories like these do you recomend? and will they be compatible with all GoPro Cameras?

Never bought an underwater camera or a camera for that matter, only what has been on my phone so I really don't know what to go for here. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Get the hero 3 black. Has all the modes you need (I prefer 1080p 60 fps) and you wont have to worry about focus problems with the 3+ and you can go deeper since you have the sturdier case. It also has a two-button latch which makes accidental opening almost impossible. I paid $312 for mine 4 or 5 weeks ago and it also came with a 1 year warranty! I am in the process of building a 2 hand stabilization rig.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2014 at 08:33 PM ----------

Don't get the LCD bacpac, its hard to see underwater, get the battery bacpac instead, the battery life is pitiful with these cameras

It was a 3 Black. Got it on ebay with some warranty of sorts for $312 with shipping included

If you looking to save some $$, Gopro sells Hero3 Black refurbs direct for $265. They come with a 30 day money back guarantee so it might be worth a look. These are likely cameras that were never defective to begin with but where buyers blamed the camera for problems that were actually caused by sub-standard memory cards and slow computers.

If you go this route just be sure and give yourself plenty of time to test it. You might also ask what the warranty is as they don't specify.

I was skeptical of the GoPro line with many negative reviews and problems early on. With that in mind, I tried the GoPro 3 White Edition since it was only $180 new. It was a pleasant surprise with very good video down to 100 ft with no artificial lighting (Aruba in March '14). I'll keep messing around with this lower-end model and if I continue to enjoy underwater filming, I'll upgrade to the Black eventually.

I recently upgraded to the LCD Bacpac since I couldn't see what was in my frame as I was filming. I know that will zap my battery life, but I'll just carry an extra battery along.

What are the differences between the Black and the Silver 3+? I can read the specs on Go Pro's website, but can someone explain the differences and the significance of them (or lack thereof) from a diving perspective? With the Silver being $100 less than the Black, it is tempting to believe the Black may be more camera than I need.

I think the big difference between the silver and the black is the size of the sensor. The black can do 4K video, 12mp still, and do 30fps burst while the silver can do 1080p, 10mp, and 10fps burst. I think the black also handles low light better.

The three main differences are better low light capability, allows some WB compensation, and protune. Protune allows more range in color adjust during post processing. The Silver 3+ has better battery life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom