Which kind of diver are you with respect to gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More in the second category as most of my gear is set up specifically for the way I dive, which is mainly solo or with specific regular buddies.
Single long hose on first stage, no octopus.
Pony/Stage with EAN50 as I tend to gas switch anyway at 20m even when I'm not on deco during the 28-30 dives.
My back gases are specific for where we dive using EAN34 on dive one and EAN40 on dive two, which allows longer dives than those on the boat diving air or EAN32.
My other gear BPW has a butt pouch with spare reel/DSMB as well as a pouch on the waist strap of the harness with some additional bits and pieces including my knife attached to the outside of it. I also have what was designed as a camera handle attached to the top of the backplate to allow lifting the wing + tank a lot easier.

full

Pockets on the drysuit/wetsuit provide space for torch/wetnotes/DSMB/reel.

I'm also more of a Type 1. I'll do a lot of reading about the gear, but then buy once and not change unless really necessary, certainly not just to try something new. I prefer spending the same cash on the trips or training than on equipment. Same with pretty much all other hobbies, where I'll do periodic window shopping, but then stick to what I already have.

Both out of necessary EVIL. Normally a big red 1, meaning I maintain the gear and will service regs (because I have too many, and it would be too costly to have them serviced), but everything else I just leave as is. It works very well why bother.

This changed when switching from OC to rebreather (well I still dive both). You need to be more nr 2 with rebreathers, whether you like it or not. From changing all the O-rings, maintaining the regs, O² cells, solenoid, etc... Also needed more finetuning to finally find a setup that resembles and dives as nice as my classic loved to dead Hogarthian setup.

I'm a solid 1. Once I find gear and a configuration that works for me I leave it alone. I have everything properly maintained but by others. I know enough to know how everything works and how it should be maintained but I don't want to do it myself. I'm absolutely NOT a DIYer. Not at home, not with my cars and not with my gear.

I'll do the little stuff like attaching bolt snaps, swapping hoses, changing HP spools, threading a harness, changing a wing inflator, etc. But that's all I care to do myself. My tanks and regs, I pay the professionals to maintain them.

I am always open to ways to do things better and will adjust my configuration and procedures when I see an improvement, but I'm not constantly experimenting and changing things.

I'm with Lex and Bob..... 3+!
I (and my kids) dive wings I made from scratch, and my usual regs include a double hose with nearly as many parts I made as factory!
I maintain our gear, and generally none of it is younger than I, unless I made it.

Respectfully,

james

+1 for no.2 - not like I have a choice with sidemount :yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom