Which Light Head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a stealth light canister.

He has one 10watt focusable Dive Rite head in stock ready to go, which I was thinking of getting with the canister.

After reading a few posts, though, it seems everyone prefers the Halcyon head.

What makes this head so great?
How does it compare to the Dive Rite?
How much could I expect to spend if I order it from Extreme Exposure, Fifth D, etc.?

So if I buy the head myself and ship it to Dan, which one should I go with?
Would the Halcyon be the best choice?
Or should I just order it with the Dive Rite?

I thought someone said you can still buy just the heads from most Halcyon dealers, though?

Here's another option.

I know someone who's selling a Halcyon Pro 14 with the 18 watt head. He'll let me have it for $600.

That canister is huge and I don't think I'll ever need that much burn time for the type of diving I'm doing. I was thinking of maybe picking it up, selling the can on ebay, and sending the head to Dan to wire into one of his cans.

Does this sound like a good idea?
Do I really need 18 watts though?
With the shift towards the smaller cans will I really even get anything for the BIG can by itself if I try to sell it?

grunzster:
Here's another option.

I know someone who's selling a Halcyon Pro 14 with the 18 watt head. He'll let me have it for $600.

That canister is huge and I don't think I'll ever need that much burn time for the type of diving I'm doing. I was thinking of maybe picking it up, selling the can on ebay, and sending the head to Dan to wire into one of his cans.

Does this sound like a good idea?
Do I really need 18 watts though?
With the shift towards the smaller cans will I really even get anything for the BIG can by itself if I try to sell it?

It is doubtless what I will do soon - I just need to find the 18W head...! Its how I got one of my 10 watters - someone got tired of Canzilla, I got it on eBay for a song. Then I ended up flipping the can for close to what I paid for the whole set up.

There are many people out there still looking for the big cans (my guy was a video guy...)

Ken
Still hunting for an 18W Halcyon Head

Ok I just found out you can get the Proteus 10 watt head from Extreme Exposure for $437.
The Dive Rite 10 watt is $325.00.

So is it worth it?

That's over $100 more. Still no one has answered my original question. What makes the Halcyon head so much better than the Dive Rite?

Ok I've decided against the 18 watt. I'd rather go with the longer burn time, and I don't think I really need an 18 watt head, and most importantly the guy selling still hasn't emailed me.

I think I've also decided against the Halcyon all together. Too scared after all the problems people were having with those 10 watt heads. Besides the whole point of going with the Stealth light was to get a good quality light for less money.

So here are my options.
The Stealth canister with the Diverite H10 head that Dan has just sitting there waiting $325
or
The Stealth canister with the 10 watt Terkel!
I'm still waiting on a price.

Everyone who's used this light loves it, (people are praising this light just like they were the Halcyons when they first came out. Plus I haven't heard of a single problem with any of them. One of my buddies has it and can't stop praising it, (don't even bring up the subject of canisters in front of him!) I even saw a post where UP said it was brighter than his 10 watt Helios.

Does this sound like a winner?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom