which liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DianeToo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I am planning a trip on a live aboard in the caribbean over new years week. There are not many options left for this popular time so I am choosing between
Explorer out of Turks and Caicos
Sun Dancer out of Belize
Aggressor out of Grand Cayman

Does anyone have any opinions about the dive sites, the people or the boats?
I'd really appreciate any input.

dianetoo
welcome to this board.
the 3 choises you offered are all good.
i was in belize this past may.
i was very impressed with the health of the reef.

there is alot of info on these liveaboards here on this board.
do a search and you will be pleased with what you find.
regards,

I would choose Belize. I've been on the Sun Dancer II twice and enjoyed it alot, and it's a very nice boat. A liveaboard is a good way to dive Belize as it gets you out to the better diving on the outer atolls. (You can do dayboats out but it's a long trip not something you would do everyday. There are also resorts on some of the atolls but it seems the best diving is at Lighthouse reef and I believe the resort there is still closed for renovation.)

My second choice would be the T&C Explorer. I haven't been on it, but it's also supposed to be a very nice boat and T&C has good diving. The dayboat trips to the better diving from Provo are on the long side so you might consider the liveaboard has a bit of an advantage there, and you may get to go to some even further spots. I prefer Belize diving though.

My last choice would be Cayman Aggressor, I haven't been on it so this is heresay but I've just heard too many bad reports on it. And it seems like I've heard bad reports of one sort of another over a long period of time, even as they've gone through a number of boats over the years. I like to do Cayman land based anyway (either Grand Cayman or Little Cayman) as I like the topside and there lots of good restaurants. It's a little more work and probably more expensive to get in as many dives land based, but if you stay and dive the right places the diving should be at least as good as the liveaboard.

I definitely agree with the recommendation to go to Belize. We were on the Nekton Pilot at Christmas last year in Belize and found the diving to be excellent. The reefs were extremely healthy and there was LOTS of marine life. It's all wall diving and macro, not many pelagics so be aware of that. The PH boat followed us for most of our trip, so they were doing the same sights (except I believe they go to the Blue Hole, which Nekton does not).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom