Which MYRTLE BEACH LDS do we use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did my first ocean dives this past Saturday with Coastal Scuba.

I think the staff was very nice and helpful (never on a charter boat so I can't compare). We had a group of students so only 4 divers (I think) were doing the dive. 2 stayed on board due to sickness - at least one of them was feeding fish fairly often, glad it wasn't me!

My buddy was on air and I was on EAN36, however it was on purpose. I can tell you that my quarry dives on lower visibility helped! My buddy was used to clear sea FL dives and was stressed out and was about to quit on a second dive. The general profile was 30-40-30 for air and two of us did just about that 28-40-28 (according to my computer).

Storm weather the night before did cut the visibility big time. And only part where the Barracuda Alley had good visibility it was full of fish all around us and one couldn't see a thing for the fish!

Lost my buddy once on each dive in that area as he got disoriented. However I ascended slightly above the fish and spotted his bubbles and located him quickly. From the barge towards APCs one could hardly see the rope so we decided to abandon that attempt. No sense to go where one can't even see the rope.

I am glad however that I have my first ocean dive(s) behind me and now am looking forward to do my deep/wreck dive specialties second weekend in August.

Thanks Coastal Scuba!

I was in Myrtle Beach last week for vacation. I used Coastal Scuba. We dove on the "Sherman". It is a Civil War vessel. Nice dive, excellent support with the shop and the DM's. Would highly recommend them.

I did my first OW dive at the Sherman with Coastal Scuba a few weeks ago. There were lots of barracuda and other marine life, which was quite cool. The vis wasn't bad (15-20 feet), and the water was fairly calm. I felt like that was a great dive for a novice such as myself.

Topside view of the "Scuba Express" dive boat. Approximately 45 feet long. Duel diesel engines. Second story bridge. Lot of railing. Duel ladders (fins off). Rear dive platform. Cooler. Water. Head. Pilot house. Unique tank holders (no bungies). Spear fishing allowed. Bow flat deck for lounging. Helpful dive masters. Excellent operation overall.

Video - Scuba Express Dive Boat

Express Water Sports Dive Shop

Will a 3/2 suit be ok down there for the water conditions? My wife and I are scheduled for a dive on the Sherman on 8/21. We're both looking forward to getting out of the quarry. Thanks

The quarry? Which one? Fantacy Lake?

The Sherman is an old stomping (or finning) ground of mine. The Sherman is a fun dive and not a LONG boat ride. The ride out will take you through a beautiful inlet waterway. Take a topside camera if you can. I think a 3/2 wetsuit will be fine for the current water temperature. My girlfriend dove offshore Venice Florida yesterday and said a 3mm was too much. I am sure she will wear her wetsuit on her dive today, regardless of the water temperature, because of stinging creatures.

The ocean is full of creatures that sting. A large pack of jelly fish are sometimes unavoidable, and the more "coverage" one has, the better.

Wear gloves if you have them. There are lots of very sharp things on shipwrecks. It is very easy to cut ones hand when being pushed about by the currents and grasping an edge or corner for control.

Sometimes the sticky jellys will stick to the anchor line. Gloves will make handling the anchor line negotiable in a situation like this.

A thin hood, if you have it, will offer additional protection from sticky and stinging creatures.

Enjoy!

Will a 3/2 suit be ok down there for the water conditions? My wife and I are scheduled for a dive on the Sherman on 8/21. We're both looking forward to getting out of the quarry. Thanks

Last week the reports were that the Sherman was about 78F at the bottom with about +/- 20' viz. Also heard that the inshore stuff like the Sherman had better viz so far than offshore sites. The viz may be a crap shoot, but unless you're really cold natured, I would think a 3mil full suit would be fine.

Thank you both. We're looking forward to it. We've been diving Blue Stone and have really enjoyed ourselves. The folks are great and plenty for us to look at. But, it will be nice to have better than 6' vis (I hope). We are taking a camera. It will be my wifes first salt water dive, and she's still a bit nervous. Can't wait.

Another great wreck to start out on is the City of Richmond. It has had outstanding vis all year so far. I have been down there at least 10 times with my son and more than half the time you can see the wreck from the surface. Tons of big fish and a few nice sized sand tigers to see. Lots of artifacts to find, although not quite as many as the sherman. Give it a try if you get a chance.

Thank you both. We're looking forward to it. We've been diving Blue Stone and have really enjoyed ourselves. The folks are great and plenty for us to look at. But, it will be nice to have better than 6' vis (I hope). We are taking a camera. It will be my wifes first salt water dive, and she's still a bit nervous. Can't wait.

I have dove the Sherman many, many times. Just some basic suggestions. Learn the layout of the lines under the boat before you get in the water. Once in the water, go slowly and go hand over hand along the lines. When you get to the bottom you may want to lay flat on your chest for a minute or two. Laying on the bottom has a very calming effect. Adjust to the enviroment, check your gages, location of inflator, etc. Another calming effect would be to have her hold her pressure gauge in her hand. The water may be turbid so pay close attention to the location of the anchor line tie in, and the form and shape of the structure around it. Once venturing away from the anchor line, you may want to check back (it only takes a minute) just to better familiarize yourself with the layout of the structure. I would start thinking of ending the dive as you start approaching 1000 psi. Start finding your way back to the anchor. If you have 1300 psi when you reach the anchor, you can spend the little bit of time left exploring the area around the anchor.

The conditions may be perfect, but on the other hand maybe not. Expect bouncy water on the surface, ocean currents under the boat, ocean surge on the bottom, and sea creatures of any type may be present. All of these are manageable.

Its a fun dive and the angle (or scope) of the anchor line will make it seem deeper than it is. It is about 50 feet deep.

Have fun and enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom