Which nudibranch is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took a picture of this critter in Maldives in 2010. I thought that it was a nudibranch but I have never seen anything like it anywhere before or since. Can someone please ID it for me?
Excuse the poor photo quality; there was a lot of current and I had problems to hold the camera steady.

Attachments

• BBM Nudi - A.jpg
    BBM Nudi - A.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 222
It was about the size of a 10-year old child's thumb. It did not look anything like a flatworm - quite bumpy on the exposed side.
I wondered if it was variant of Phyllidiella Rosans. That has similar stripes but AFAIK is not blue and usually found in Hawaii.

Although not obvious in my photo, I recall that the critter did have a couple of little black nudi "horns"

I am currently not at home so have no books at my disposal, however it looks similar to Phyllidiopsis annae except for the "broken" lines

I am currently not at home so have no books at my disposal, however it looks similar to Phyllidiopsis annae except for the "broken" lines
I thought most Phyllidiopsis species are flatter than my critter? One thing I recall well is that this one was rather well bulged out (imagine a longitudinally sliced mini-gherkin), which is why I thought of Phyllidiella rosans. Apparently, they can be blue-black like mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom