Which drysuit pee valve should I buy?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a standard source for quick disconnects? I've looked, but no luck.
Was actually going to get hardware store watermaker QD of the right diameter.

Am I missing one that's five times the price, but "meant for scuba"?
I don't bother with QD's anymore. My current setup started as a balanced LM (came with suit). I removed the duck bill and plugged with a reg port plug to make it unbalanced. To increase flow and removed the need to prime it I removed the mushroom/umbrella valve under the cap on your thigh. If valve left open it primes itself when I get in the water.

If you want a QD, US Plastics sells them, lots of options and fairly inexpensive. They are the same ones used for P valves and motorcycle fuel tanks, etc.

There was a Great thread on TDS called something like the trials and tribulations of the condom catheter. It was not only extremely entertaining, it answered most questions about P valves and caths and setup, even the ones some folks found uncomfortable to ask.

There are some SB threads discussing QDs and giving the McMaster-Carr part numbers or links thereto. Assuming your norprene tubing is the same ID Halcyon uses, I'll save you the Googling:

McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr

There was a Great thread on TDS called something like the trials and tribulations of the condom catheter. It was not only extremely entertaining, it answered most questions about P valves and caths and setup, even the ones some folks found uncomfortable to ask.

This?

The Deco Stop

I also see:

P-Valve. What is it?

There are some SB threads discussing QDs and giving the McMaster-Carr part numbers or links thereto. Assuming your norprene tubing is the same ID Halcyon uses, I'll save you the Googling:

McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr

Duh! I use McM for everything else. Why didn't I remember that? Thanks!

Those are the same quick disconnects I use. I probably use too many.
The catheter gets an open flow. A short extension hose puts me at a closed flow that mates to a closed flow in the suit. The closed flow prevents the plumbing from draining and making a mess when disconnected. You might spill a drop or two with the closed flow as you disconnect.
But the big key one is being able to disconnect the extension hose from yourself. You don't ever want to be in the position where you need an adaptor or take the condom off in order to take a pee.
I prep before laving home/hotel. Always test fire the plumbing to make sure everything is comfortable. The ability to stop and take a leak before suiting up is a fairly normal experience. No special tools needed.
The sockets are always the shrouded release buttons. I want that ridge around the button to prevent accidental button pressing. The original supplier, which I once bought directly through but won't anymore.
APC : General Purpose : Colder Products Company (CPC)

McMaster also carries the noroprene hose. (not neoprene)

Another tip, getting that damn thing off. The inverted peel isn't the best. I have found that the stretch to insane diameter and pull the adhesive perpendicular releases it better. Still not fun or enjoyable. But that stretching thins out the adhesive so it isn't as bad. And clean up, WD40. Surprisingly mild on skin and just enough solvent to remove the glue. Generally do this a day after diving when you see the lint stuck to the glue. You know just the areas to clean. And when done, washes off in the shower with soapy water (the glue won't wash off on its own).

And if you are tugging at hairs, you didn't manscape enough. It will grow back, don't worry about it. You will learn how much or little is needed in time. Part of that learning curve.

Those are the same quick disconnects I use. I probably use too many.
The catheter gets an open flow. A short extension hose puts me at a closed flow that mates to a closed flow in the suit. The closed flow prevents the plumbing from draining and making a mess when disconnected. You might spill a drop or two with the closed flow as you disconnect.
But the big key one is being able to disconnect the extension hose from yourself. You don't ever want to be in the position where you need an adaptor or take the condom off in order to take a pee.
I prep before laving home/hotel. Always test fire the plumbing to make sure everything is comfortable. The ability to stop and take a leak before suiting up is a fairly normal experience. No special tools needed.
The sockets are always the shrouded release buttons. I want that ridge around the button to prevent accidental button pressing. The original supplier, which I once bought directly through but won't anymore.
APC : General Purpose : Colder Products Company (CPC)

McMaster also carries the noroprene hose. (not neoprene)

Another tip, getting that damn thing off. The inverted peel isn't the best. I have found that the stretch to insane diameter and pull the adhesive perpendicular releases it better. Still not fun or enjoyable. But that stretching thins out the adhesive so it isn't as bad. And clean up, WD40. Surprisingly mild on skin and just enough solvent to remove the glue. Generally do this a day after diving when you see the lint stuck to the glue. You know just the areas to clean. And when done, washes off in the shower with soapy water (the glue won't wash off on its own).

And if you are tugging at hairs, you didn't manscape enough. It will grow back, don't worry about it. You will learn how much or little is needed in time. Part of that learning curve.

There is also a product called Uni-Solve. It is made to dissolve the glue on the cath. Makes life quite easy. Another product I use is called Skin-Prep, that can be used before the cath is put on to make removal easier. Both are sold at you favorite creepy medical supply house.

So I'm about to cut a hole in my suit and install my H, but am concerned about tubing routing. I was going to have a short U in the tubing to allow for shifting position/direction of my equipment with exertion. I figured a U or curving L would accommodate some shifting without kinking. Then I read the above.

So...how far from your condom are people placing the valve? U, L or straight run of tubing?
So I put my suit on and then took my left arm and just hung it down and that was the distance so it would be comfortable to grab, I imagine it would be frustrating not being able to open or close your valve. The barb for mine goes at say the 10 o clock position facing away from my groin so it allows flexibility but also allows just a little bit of tension to keep everything un kinked, then I cut the hose shorter so my man parts hang down and no up and over loops, I took a .50 cal casing and used it to put a hole lower in my thermals to thread the hose through, so to answer straight run

Was actually going to get hardware store watermaker QD of the right diameter.

Am I missing one that's five times the price, but "meant for scuba"?
Amazon has them they are used for boating gas lines and atv gas lines

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom