Which Pennsylvania quarry is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver

Livin' the dream
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I don't know where my original logbook is, and I'm hoping y'all can solve a mystery.

I don't remember the exact date, but I became a YMCA Basic Diver under the expert leadership of Temple University's Dr. Peter Lynch in May of 1980. In fact, my 30 year anniversary as a certified diver might very well be this very weekend.

It had to be within a reasonable drive of Philadelphia. There was a dive shop on site for tanks and fills and I think it was called Jolly Roger Dive Shop. I'm picturing a t-shirt I bought that weekend with the shop logo in my mind, but haven't seen the shirt in years.

The main feature I remember is that they sunk a wreck in it at about 50' or 55' and it was called the Quest. I think.

The names rolling around in my head from memory are Myerstown Quarry, Richland Quarry, and Willow Springs Quarry. Googling makes me wonder if they are three names for the same quarry.

Can anyone solve the mystery and tell me which quarry I was certified in? Thanks in advance!

I believe the Jolly Roger Dive Shop is across the street from Willow.

Thanks, guys! And wow, Jolly Roger is still there 30 years later, that is quite an accomplishment!

Is the Quest still in the quarry? I know they were going to sink some other stuff, did they ever do that and if so, what?

I dove two wrecks and a reef off Fort Lauderdale today to celebrate three decades of certified diving. What a great day!!!

Congrats! Wish I was down there in the warm weather diving too.

Dutch Springs is another quarry in PA Not the one your looking for I do not think.

I know it wasn't Dutch, but thanks anyway. :wink:

I was just at Willow the other day and the Quest is still there, plus plenty of other things. The visibility on the other hand was 3-4 ft.

Wow, I'm so glad it's still there! Thank you! I remember that horrid vis. I had to hold hands with the instructor in order to not lose him. I also got so cold, despite a 1/4" wetsuit, hood and gloves, that when I came ashore my hands would not work and someone else had to get my fins off.

Wow, I'm so glad it's still there! Thank you! I remember that horrid vis. I had to hold hands with the instructor in order to not lose him. I also got so cold, despite a 1/4" wetsuit, hood and gloves, that when I came ashore my hands would not work and someone else had to get my fins off.

Ahhh... Diving in the Northeast at its finest. My friends and I put a mandatory 2 week waiting period after tropical diving before we hit Dutch :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom