Which places recognize SDI certs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ANyway can anyone tell me if i learn advance diving what will be covering? or things will be teaching or anything?

This is one place where SDI differentiates itself from PADI. PADI requires 5 additional dives to become an "advanced diver" Usually consisting of A deep dive to 100 feet so you can feel the effects of nitrogen narcosis if they appear, navigation, and then 3 other's of your choice. SDI requires Forty dives, along with completion of 3 specialty courses to receive "Advanced Certification" Will you be an advanced diver after completing either course? Probably not. I believe by the number of dives required in SDI you are likely to be more proficient. Becoming an advanced diver requires time in the water. A suggestion, when you are with advanced divers, model the way they dive. As far as education goes, the best course for your money is Rescue Diver from either agency, you will gain the confidence of taking care of your self, and being able to help a buddy in the event he or she should panic. Enjoy yourself, I've been actively diving the past 10 years.

I understand what u guys saying but is like 60 or 70% understand..
Can someone help me or guide me..
1. I have my open water cert at SSI( i from singapore)
2. At first i want to continue my advance at the same agenices but i have been a long time did not dive after getting my open water. So the person say i must log enough dive so that i can go for advance dive or learn advance diving.

So i went to other agencies and this agencies is SDI so i ask if i want to learn advance is it possible? the person say can i can learn... meaning that SDI no need to log enough dive to learn advance am i right? as for SSI the previous open water cert that i get from that agencies they say i need to log enough of dive to learn advance..

So right now i was thinking is there anything wrong? hope u guys understand what i mean.. thanks..

SSI issues an Advanced certification after you've completed 4 or 5 specialities and I believe that must include Rescue. In addition you must have logged 24 dives. There is no advanced class in SSI. I don't know what SDI's requirements are for advanced.

That's simply not true. I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is grossly wrong. The standards of various agencies, including members of the RSTC, vary greatly from each other. The RSTC sets minimum standards that are so low it's a joke to call them standards. It's certainly a disservice to use the word "high" when referring to them. RSTC and some of it's member agencies have standards so low they frankly scare me. Other agencies, including at least one member of the RSTC have standards that are quite high.

BTW, your list of member agencies is not complete and one of the members you've listed isn't. Wanna try again?

If you read, you would have noted the "other" in front of the list of names. I never said it was complete, simply a few examples. And the standards are not the low issue, it is the manner in which an agency polices itself in a given area that causes low standard practices. There are places in the world where one dive agency has a terrible reputation due to how particular members certifiy and teach, while in another area, the same agency may enjoy a much better rep as a good agency. So, before you finish climbing that high horse, you may want to widen your range.
Now, I don't have a clue as to how widely travelled you are, so I won't denigrate or snipe. I only speak from living decades outside of the US and in various areas of the world. By living , not visitting many places, I've gotten a real eye-opening view.
And as to high or low, perhaps I should have said streamlined, so they agencies involved match among themselves, somewhat.
I apparantly have been misinformed about Naui, but I thought they were also a part of the nstc. My apologies...
And on another note from a later post for comparisons, SDI requires 25 open water dives and 4 specialties.

Last edited:
I agree that quality of instructors vary greatly within any given agency. That is a separate and very important issue. I agree more needs to be done by agencies to ensure standards are actually being met by all instructors. OTOH, It's not nearly as important as the issue of the standards themselves. Most instructors follow their agency's standards to the letter. A few rotten apples cut corners and a very few excellent instructors do a much better job than required by standards. Some agencies (YMCA & NAUI come to mind) encourage instructors to exceed standards while others (PADI comes to mind) encourage instructors to follow standards to the letter. My concern is when standards are so low that an instructor can follow them to the letter and still teach an inadequate class. That is the case with some of the standards I've studied.

ZenDiver.3D:
And as to high or low, perhaps I should have said streamlined, so they agencies involved match among themselves, somewhat.

I'm not really sure what you mean, so please correct me if I've misunderstood. Members of the RSTC do not match among themselves if you mean their standards are somewhat similar - they aren't.

Scuba Diving International offers two levels of "advanced" certification to divers. Advanced Adventure is a single specialty that involves five dives with an instructor. These five dives must include one each from the core SDI specialty programs: Deep and Navigation. The remaining three are "user selected" and may include one each from a menu of options including: Drift, Boat, Wreck, Marine Ecology, Drysuit and so on. SDI Advanced Adventure is designed to be completed in a similar time frame as most other specialty courses.

Our Advanced Diver Development Program is a most comprehensive course that requires participants to complete four SDI specialties (Advanced Adventure may be one) and log at least 25 dives before applying for the rating.

If the OP has not dove for a while, I would suggest strongly a refresher course or some easy dives under the auspices of a dive professional.

Hope this clears up the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom