Which pocket is best for back up mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is one "standard"

Standardized equipment placement for diver’s pockets

The lack of standardized placement for equipment stowed in a diver’s pockets continues

to create confusion among dive teams and may be considered a hazard during

emergencies in which a dive buddy needs to assist an incapacitated or troubled diver.

Therefore, GUE has agreed to standardize the placement of equipment in a diver’s

pockets. While it is understood that arguments might be made on all sides it has been

agreed that the diver’s left pocket will hold “utility” equipment while the right pocket

should hold “safety” equipment. This convention allows divers to become familiar with

placement which will best serve them in all diving scenarios. For example, a diver using

a scooter can access “utility” items while scootering. Utility items include but are not

limited to a primary SMB, double end clips, stage carry loops, jump spools etc.; safety

items include a reserve SMB, spare mask, safety spool, wet notes etc.

Why wouldn't the primary SMB be considered a safety item?

Why wouldn't the primary SMB be considered a safety item?

Because there are dives in which you PLAN on using it so it falls into the utility category. Notice that the backup smb (the one not planned to be used) falls under the safety category and is in the right pocket.

Is there a training standard for the ideal pocket to carry back up mask and SMB w/spool? I sling a 30cf bailout bottle on my left side..... any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Since you posted in the Solo forum - I would say there is no standard - as long as you remember where you put it.

For me I use the "L"eft pocket for Life Safety equipment and the right pocket for everything else. I do the same for firefighting - anything I think will keep me alive goes on my left side. All else goes on my right side. To me I can easily remember that because I have been using it for years. YMMV.
You are solo so it is not like a buddy is going to grab at your wrong pocket... :)

I do not carry a spare mask, it is only recommended and I do not need one. You could put a pocket on your pony, like a pony pocket and put it there or slip it under the hose retention bands. N

You guys are awesome ! Thanx much for all your responses ! I actually was able to try some diffrrent combinations on some practice dives @BluHole,NM today and will do more refining 3 dives tomorrow..... practice, practice, then practice some more !

Deleted because of error and re-posted.

That's not true. First Randy will ship it however you want. They usually refund shipping charges to reflect actual charges once your order is processed. For some reason their website doesn't calculate shipping correctly. They need a website makeover.

Yes they do need to fix that. Not knowing what the shipping is going to be is unacceptable in this day and age.

Nevertheless, do you want free shipping on a $10 pocket or do you want them to stay in business? Also, have you shopped pockets? Even if it was $10 to ship it's still an awesome deal. He could charge $30- $50 like everyone else.

Personally, I have no vested interest in whether they stay in business or not. That's their concern, not mine. And the $30-$50 prices you quote are from high end name brands - not some generic no name. Apples and oranges.

The fact that almost every other dealer can ship small things like that and even large things for minimal ($4) or free shipping tells me that Piranha really needs to fix their website or find a better way to ship because it is most probably hurting them.

And yes I have shopped pockets and Piranha is not the only place that inexpensive pockets can be found. Just yesterday I saw a very nice, large neoprene pocket at DiversDirect for $8 - free shipping for orders of $25 or more. In fact, go to Loew's and take a look in their tool section. They have a set of three very sturdy pockets that slip on a 2" belt - $10 - thats for all three. All you need to do is add a grommet for drainage.

BUT - I'm not arguing that the price isn't good - it is good. My complaint is that the shipping should not be equal to or vastly more than the cost of the item. Put a dollar item in your cart at Piranha and the shipping will show $10+ minimum. I guess I could call and find out what the shipping would really be - but it's not obvious that what you see isn't necessarily what you will pay.[/QUOTE]

On ocean dives I usually carry a camera in my right hand which is on a lanyard. So I sling pony on the left, mask in left pocket, SMB and reel (not a spool) on the left. Keeps any clutter out of the way. no trouble in reaching anything I need.

Whoops. The site is a bit awkward if you don't know what you're doing (I obviously didn't). I take back everything I said about Piranha shipping charges. If you know what to do in what order they give a ton of choices. I just bought the pocket and shipping was under $5. My bad.

Whoops. The site is a bit awkward if you don't know what you're doing (I obviously didn't). I take back everything I said about Piranha shipping charges. If you know what to do in what order they give a ton of choices. I just bought the pocket and shipping was under $5. My bad.

It's understandable, they really could use a site update. But my experience with Randy has always been stellar customer service. Often times he'll get a hold of stock at extreme discounted prices and just pass that savings on to the customer. I believe that is the case with this pocket. I think you'll like the pocket a lot. It's well built and is the perfect size for a number of accessories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom