Which pocket is best for back up mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving for 48 years and I've lost a mask exactly twice: Once on the surface waiting for the boat to pick me up and the other on entering the surf. However, I've yet to lose one during the dive. How many in this thread have lost a mask?

BTW, I do wear a helmet, so unless I break a strap, I'm not losing a mask. I change masks once or twice a year.

I leave my spare mask on the boat:
Yeah, I'm with you!

I agree with the right pocket for "things you probably won't use" such as wet notes, back-up mask, and safety spool(s) while the left pocket is your "plan to use/often use" pocket. Most scooter models are right hand trigger so it is easier to work out of the left when going for spools, DSMB's, line markers, action cameras, etc.

Since most tech/cave divers keep their primary in their left hand, it makes it possible to signal, "Attention," while using the right hand to deploy a back-up mask either for self or buddy.

I dive in unified teams and solo and keep my stuff in the same pockets for solo and team diving.

Last edited:
Left for rare items
Currently: just my spare mask
A frameless mask that folds into a compact form
Considering a very compact spare dsmb/reel

Right: utility
Magnifying glass
Spare double ender
Camera snoot
Shears

Left. That’s the “Oh sh*t” pocket.

I'd probably put it in the left pocket unless my knife is in there. Won't fit without crunching it up anyway with 10 pound weights behind each pocket. Maybe when I get that new BC?
I wouldn't carry one with me on the dive anyway.

I don't put it in a thigh pocket. I have a Dive Rite mask pocket that slides on my right harness waist strap and slides back up against my wing. Completely out of the way but I can get to it if needed. This way it doesn't take up thigh pocket space.

What’s a backup mask for? Lol

in 26 years of diving, I’ve never lost a mask once.

What’s a backup mask for? Lol

in 26 years of diving, I’ve never lost a mask once.

In 15 years neither have I. Don’t plan to wait for it to happen. I take a backup mask with me on every trip. Might as well take it in the water with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom