which RCI resort has the best diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So my wife booked us for Morritt's Tortuga Club in Grand Caymen.

Now that it's narrowed down... are there any "must dive" sites there?
Looks like they have walk-in/beach dives, which I'm all about. I think they have a boat as well that probably goes to pretty generic spots. Anything more advanced would probably mean looking outside of the resort.
You might be actually very pleasantly surprised. Some of the best diving off Grand Cayman is on the NE side. Certainly it's more pristine than anything on the west side. I've seen remarks that east side diving is how the west side was decades ago before all the development.

Diving is with Tortuga Divers at the resort. Activities | Cayman Islands | Red Sail Sports Cayman

Babylon has been called one of the top 10 Wall dives in the world. Tortuga lists it on their AM two-tank. Besides Babylon, good dives I know of in that area are Snapper Hole and Grouper Grotto. My buddy was just out there a couple years ago - diving with Ocean Frontiers.

Not sure about shore diving - I suggested it once but an ex-Tortuga employee said the current off the dock is pretty swift so they discourage it. The wall is a healthy surface swim out also - some of it thru potential boat traffic.

Besides Tortuga the only other option on that side of the island is Ocean Frontiers. They list a lot of the better sites in that area on a map - Dive Sites Detail/video about many of them is at idivecayman.com.

Everything else is about a 45min. drive back to Georgetown or beyond. If you want to dive Stingray City - there's also an option with Tortuga to go there from their Rum Point location IIRC. For the Kittiwake I think you'll have to drive around.

You might be actually very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks diversteve
I think I may have mixed up the beach/shore diving with another place we were looking at going to. I didn't see anything on their site about it so I'm probably wrong. I emailed them just to double check though.

Glad to hear we're on the good side of the island for diving.

We'll probably go with Tortuga Divers. The packages are reasonable. Considering we paid about $100/person for a 2-tank dive in Waikiki, I guess that's close to the standard price for a boat dive these days. I'll make up for it before and after on Kwaj/ :wink:

I'll definitely report in after all is said and done. Thanks for the good words.

We have a RCI timeshare at the Galleon on Key West. Not really a dive destination. We have traded it for El CID on Cozumel. Used on site operator, Babieca scuba. Had a nice stay, cannot go wrong had breakfast at Ernesto's a block away and at Casa del mar across the street.
Tried more times than I can count to get a week on Bonaire thru RCI, at Buddy dive, next to impossible.

Thanks, El Cid is one that I've considered several times; good to hear that it's a good option!

Thanks, El Cid is one that I've considered several times; good to hear that it's a good option!
we will do it again. problem with rci for this resort is you cannot go back for something like 3-4 years before you can use timeshare trade again..bummed out on that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom