Which rechargeable AA batteries??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karloss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a new owner of a Sea and Sea YS-01 strobe, which is my first strobe, and I am wondering which brand of rechargeable batteries would be best to use. I'm a tightwad so what I mean by "best" is cost versus rechargeable life of the battery. I suppose an estimate on the number of flashes between charges would be good to know. From what little research I have done it appears that Eneloop by Sanyo may be what I am looking for. I appreciate any information and thank you in advance, Brian.

There is an old article (shameless self promotion) that I wrote and it is on the underwaterphotoguide site. Basically low internal discharge batteries are the best (you get the most shots) and Eneloop makes very good LID batteries. Be advised though that the Eneloop XX which have higher capacity aren't as useful as the standard 2000 mAh ones. Thomas Distributing is the place to get your batteries.
Bill

There is an old article (shameless self promotion) that I wrote and it is on the underwaterphotoguide site. Basically low internal discharge batteries are the best (you get the most shots) and Eneloop makes very good LID batteries. Be advised though that the Eneloop XX which have higher capacity aren't as useful as the standard 2000 mAh ones. Thomas Distributing is the place to get your batteries.
Bill

That has also been my experience regarding standard eneloop and the XX ones but I do not know why.

An update on the information referenced in the link above:

Amazon.com: Ansmann 5035092 AA of 2850mAh Rechargeable Batteries (4-Pack): Electronics

Don't hold the charge for a very long time. I use occasionally when I am doing a single dive. I wouldn't buy again.

Amazon.com: Sanyo 2,700 mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries-4-Pack: Electronics

350 Shots (Excellent and use all the time. Hold charge for a long time). Second Choice.

Amazon.com: Powerex AA 2700mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries with holder- 4 Batteries Per Pack: Camera & Photo

390 Shots (Excellent and hold charge for a long time). First Choice.

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000: Home & Kitchen

350 Shots (these are the batteries that were included with the charger. They don't seem to be available by themselves). I don't use for strobes. I use them for computer peripherals.

Amazon.com: Energizer AA Rechargeable NiMH Battery Retail Pack, 2450mAh - 4 Pack: Electronics

252 Shots (I don't use them with strobes anymore)

I have "conditioned" and charged all of the batteries using the La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000

Amazon.com: Sanyo New Version Sanyo XX Eneloop 2500 mAh Low Discharge AA Batteries: Electronics

These batteries give about 330 shots and hold charge for a very long time. Second/Third choice.

So far, the Powerex AA 2700mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries seem to give the most shots and hold charge for a long time. The Sanyo 2,700 mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries and the Amazon.com: Sanyo New Version Sanyo XX Eneloop 2500 mAh Low Discharge AA Batteries: Electronics come second in number of shots and holding a charge.

---------- Post added December 30th, 2013 at 07:48 AM ----------

I use these two battery Testers:

ZTS Mini Battery Tester - ZTS MINI-MBT - Amazon.com (I use it when traveling since it is more compact).

ZTS Multi Battery Tester - ZTS MBT-1 - Amazon.com (I use it at home. It can test more types of batteries).

The first and second choice type of batteries remain at 80 - 100% charge for several weeks and even months when tested with either one of the testers above.

Sanyo Eneloop as well. I think the newer ones can be recharged up to 1,800 cycles, so look out for those.

Back
Top Bottom