Which reg/what to consider? S/P Mk25 and 2nds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Seaweed Doc most dive ops won't let you go without a BCD, but I use a VDH wing from @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose and a freedom plate from @Eric Sedletzky

If your LDS offers you a steep discount on scubapro that is a very compelling reason to stay with scubapro. What other lines do they offer discounts for you?

Atomic for sure. They're a dealer for Zeagle and Mares products, so I imagine those would also be possible, though they don't stock the regulators. (And perhaps others. I'm in no rush, so "off the shelf" isn't critical.) My general thought there was that Scubapro is likely to be reparable if something has an issue overseas. Perhaps wrong?

In an earlier post you'd mentioned matching regs for twins: That's a direction I'd like to head. The Zeagle D50 that is my "main" reg I'd use as backup and to loan to friends on occasion.

And, if not obvious, just kidding about vintage equipment to match the regulator. I learned to dive with horsecollars, and dove with folks who eschewed a BC altogether.

Huh. Close up to wildlife is nice. Maybe I'll rethink the Kraken. Who knows, maybe I'll win the lottery and have more regulators than Imelda Marcos had shoes....

To the OP the backup reg does not have to be a high end performer. Just good enough to breath on while you head up. adn with that you probably will not find a lot of difference in the top end vs mid range.

More to your question the MK25 is a super reg 1st. the siconds like thA700 I personally would not go to unless it was for a primary reg. I have never used one though. The 260 is i think much like the 350 adn it is a good reg also adn breaths like my s 600's only a bit more bulky perhaps. the other I do not recognize.

I might be in touch. My limited options are expanding.

How rugged are the hoses? Consider me to be a hazardous diver, if not due to conditions due to my own klutziness.

They’re pretty tough. You aren’t going to break these.

Hi!, Im new to the forum, i got a mares abyss, gonna use it soon (i'm new).... (according to reviews) a classic mares only design, seems to be the best reg when regarding comfort, cold water, toughness, longevity, no need for venturi, also the abyss accumulates moisture near the mouth piece making a longer dive with less dry throat. (any pro out there feel free to correct me please and thank you). i always felt like scubapro is overpriced, since none of it goes on sale, while mares, cressi and other brands have everything on sale. I mean, I got a Cressi BCD for 150 dollars off... still yet to see 1 scubapro item on sale.
Cheers! Happy Diving !

i always felt like scubapro is overpriced, since none of it goes on sale, while mares, cressi and other brands have everything on sale. I mean, I got a Cressi BCD for 150 dollars off... still yet to see 1 scubapro item on sale.

First, each vendor charges what their equipment is worth. Second, Why is "going on sale" a measure of quality? If a vendor has artificially high list price but always seem to sell well below the list price, this only means that this vendor is artificially raising their list price beyond what it is actually worth and would then have the equipment "on sales" at a much lower price to lure people making them think that they are getting a deal when, in fact, they are paying what the equipment is worth and that the original list price is fake. SP isn't a "hustler" company and charges what they believe their equipment is actually worth without playing games with the consumer. Mares and Cressi are cheap equipment when compared with SP. It is very similar to a Mercedes dealership vs. a Chevy dealership.

SP isn't a "hustler" company and charges what they believe their equipment is actually worth without playing games with the consumer.

No they have dealer agreements to not advertise below MSRP. The dealer can sell for less if he wants to, so what is their equipment really worth? If the dealers take a hard line to sell at MSRP then they pocket more money, screwing the consumer.

Quality of regs are comparable for all the major players and probably for the large majority of small mfg's. People will pay more for a known brand name and the perceived value, regardless of what the actual value might be.

I have ScubaPro regs and they are good solid regs. For the most part I dive Sherwood regs because I perfer them, the fact that I got them for a fair price when I could not do the same with ScubaPro is their loss not mine.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom