which reg !?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swoodley

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks! I'm new to this forum and also relatively new to diving. I am slowly investing in my own gear so that I can be equiped when I take my dream scuba vacation later this summer (Coco Island - cannot wait!!). I am building up for the ultimate reward after four years of taking night classes to get my law degree, holding down a full time job, and now studying for the BAR exam this summer.

So that's a little background for you. Some other, basic information you may need to answer my question(s): I live in NYC but so far have only dived in warm water. That is only becuase of my hectic schedule (see above), that only allows me to squeeze in a little diving during vacations between school holidays and my work schedule. Hopefully, that will change after this summer and I start doing some local diving as well.

Now for my real question(s). After extensive research, I am trying to decide between two reg manufacturers: ScubaPro and Genesis. I was initially leaning towards ScubaPro. However, DiversDiscount has a great deal if you buy the Genesis Phantom BCD with Atlas regulator. For $50.00 you can get a GS2000 regulator instead.

Part of my decision will depend on whether I like the Phantom BC (I have ordered one to try one before making my decision). However, I am wondering what people's thoughts are about these different regulators. Is it worth the upgrade to the Genesis $2000? What does everyone think about these regulators on their own (if I ultimately decide not to go with the Phantom BC package)?

Also, what about the ScubaPro? They are available for a good price from DiveInn.com. For the first stage, what is the difference between the MK16 and the new MK25 (besides price)? Which second stage to people prefer The S600 second stage seems awfully steep and I am not sure what more you are getting for your money compared to the S550. Same for the G250 second stage. What is the difference between these models?

Adding to all my confusion, I see from other messages on this forum that alot of people here think highly of Apeks(?) regulators. I know nothing about that brand. Who makes it? How do they compare to the models mentioned above?

Sorry if these questions are rambling. These will be major purchases, so obviously I want to get the best deal possible while, at the same time, buying equipment that I will not soon outgrow as I become a more advanced diver. Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

-Sam W.:confused:

The MK16 uses a balanced diaphragm, while the MK20/25 uses a piston. Not sure about all the ins and outs of this (I'm sure you'll get more knowledgeable replies!), but my understanding is that the diaphragm setup is more "sealed" to the elements than the piston design, and therefore better for, say, very silty water.

As far as second stages go, the S600 has an automatic anti-set feature that helps protect the internals of the regulator when storing (other second stages either don't have this feature at all, or you must manually engage it). As I recall, the S660 seemed smaller and lighter than the S550 in the dive shop.

You mention being concerned about "outgrowing" your equipment and having to trade up. If you get an Apeks, either the TX40 or TX50 with either first stage DS4(no swivel, and one high pressure port) or the DST(swivel and 4low pressure and 2 high pressure ports) you have saved some bucks and bought one of the best regs. ever. Both are at Diveinn.com

Make your BC custom fit by making a backplate and harness(BP) The BP can do it all and it can be sized from Fred T. to fit you perfectly. Just get the BP, some simple webbing and a wing for lift and you are set for life. You won't have to get new equiment -unless you want to.

First off... Welcome to the boards and diving.

Second... Congrats on finishing your degree and good luck on your BAR.

Third... You have one of the larger mail order businesses headquartered in your home town. Its Leisure Pro. I would hope they have as wide of a selection in their brick and mortar as they do in their catalog. They have the Apeks regs, as well as the Scuab Pro and others. Try them all and for your own sake buy your first regs from a shop. They will set them up for you and adjust them properly.

Best wishes in your endeavours,

Tom

That's a good thought on Tom's part. I have bought a lot of stuff from LeisurePro and have been very satisfied.

LeisurePro is like Diveinn but in America.....

I would go to LeisurePro.

I like my Scubapro G250HP, but if you want to go with Apeks consider the TX50. This setup is very close to the SP model mentioned above. It can be had for less money and is just as good. Don't be overly concerned about first stage design as this is a locus of never ending debate among techies. In this case, Apeks uses a spring loaded diaphragm/poppet valve 1st stg which is very competent and reliable.

Both of these regs have rather large second stages but that is not a problem. You won't notice them underwater and that's a good point. They disperse bubbles better than the miniatures. With their large demand diaphragms they breath easy and are comparatively stable.

Originally posted by devjr
I like my Scubapro G250HP, but if you want to go with Apeks consider the TX50. This s........... demand diaphragms they breath easy and are comparatively stable.

My wife and I just purchased an APEX T20. Leisure pro recommend this as a great reg for under $200. Do you agree? We bought all high-end stuff however we skimped on the reg. It scares me considering that being able to breathe is pretty darn important.

Do you feel we will regret buying the APEX T20 as it is really their cheapest reg?

I have the Tx-50 with Tx-40 also. It's a great Reg.
I don't have any experience with the T-20.
From what I have read, it is a good reg for warm water diving.
So I guess it depends on what kind of diving you will be doing.

I believe that Leisure pro buys used equipment.
You can always trade up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom