Which regulator to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can’t decide between the Atomic Z3 or the Atomic B2. For the $200 difference should I go with the B2? Diving conditions will be 30’ Max with most diving in the 15-25’ range. Water temp will be at least 80 degrees. Knowing this, what would be the best option. Don’t want to spent the extra $200 if I don’t have to. Will the Z3 perform the same and last the same as the B2?

If they have a Z2 in stock, I'd chose that over Z3. The only difference is the grossly overpriced swivel on the second stage. It isn't worth the extra money.

Now, should you chose the B2 over the Z or the other way around. The B2 has a swivel turret on the first stage that makes easier with hose routing (more so with doubles than single tank) and has titanium air barrel in the second stage while the Z is a fixed first stage with 7 Lp ports and 2 HP ports.

I have had my B2 since circa 1998 (it started out as a B1 but then upgraded it to a B2 with some parts replaced). It has a sealed first stage making even more resilient and trouble free. I only service it every 3 - 5 years without any issues in between servicing.

Both regulators, B2 and Z, will perform exactly the same under water if they are tuned to factory specs. It is a matter of wanting the rotating turret in the first stage and the more resilient second stage air barrel. It it were my son, I'd get him the Z regulator with sealed first stage.

I own most models of Atomic regulators in addition to other brands and Atomic regulators are the best performing and most reliable regulators I have every used. Only SP comes a close second.

In regards to when regulators need to be serviced, do they need to be serviced after X number of dives, or X number of years?

And if it is in X number of years, what happens if you only use it for like one or two dives in that interval?

Just to follow up. I bought my son the Z3 with a Z2 Octo. Also purchased a Tusa console with computer and compass. Also bought his a Zeagle Resort BCD.

Congratulations!!

In regards to when regulators need to be serviced, do they need to be serviced after X number of dives, or X number of years?

And if it is in X number of years, what happens if you only use it for like one or two dives in that interval?
If you are following manufacturer guidance, it is almost always earliest of "X" number of dives or "X" number of years. Sometimes the "heavy use" number of dives requiring earlier service is not clearly spelled out. No manufacturer is going to specific a "light use" number of dives that extends the time interval. Those kinds of decisions are solely yours to make.

Also, for those brands that offer "free parts for life" programs, continuation in the program is generally contingent on maintaining and documenting the specified cycle - many brands are now inspection at year one and overhaul at year two, then continuation of that alternating cycle. Those programs will only supply free parts on alternate years irregardless of more frequent service.

Now, if you look over other Scubaboard threads you will find a wide variation of opinions on "how often regulators need to be serviced," including some folks whose plan is to wait until it causes them trouble before servicing. You will have to decide on your own what your path forward is.

Go with the less expensive option. As others have said, any reputable brand will do the job. Availability of service should be a primary concern. A good regulator with minimal care and maintenance will last decades. If you get the features you want and can serve the environment you plan on diving, you should be fine. Unless you are thinking about something like ice diving, you will find they are all pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom