Which Regulators are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an older Sherwood Blizzard or possibly a Magnum - IDK the line well enough to be sure.
Real solid reg in it's time but I would not pay a lot for it now. It should be good to use if you can get it serviced but at $100 for service - add 0$150 or so more and you can buy new....

The gauges look to be late 80's or maybe a little newer.

How about telling us the PRICE? so we can comment on the deal.

So, it's not worth it if I can't find kit or can't rebuild myself. I guess same goes for the first 3 choices (too old) then.
Thanks.

this is really a generalization and someone will dispute this shortly but Balanced is better at depth. Balanced also generally costs more if that gives an idea of which is better...

Every reg is rebuildable IF you can find the parts kit. A Scubapro MK2 (still sold today) was first made in 1963.

Don't buy anything Dacor - they went out of business over a decade ago and were absorbed into Mares and discontinued.

Cressi is decent value on the lower end - they even use some titanium components in certain models. A new XS2/AC2 sells for well under $200 (first/second stage only)

What is the PRICE?

If they're local to you ask if you can have a reg tech take a peek inside b4 you hand over the cash - most will do it for free or a nominal charge. If a reg was put away wet (esp. in salt water) it could be corroded junk now.

I admit I'm not a big fan of buying used regs since you have no idea of the service on them unless they have a service record to show you. Even new hoses will set you back over $100 and a little Armor-All hides a lot of age cracks.

Before rebuild cost factored in:
The mares is under $200
The Scubapro MK10 is under $200
The ScubaPro MK20 is under $300

I doubt that people would let me take the regs to the shop myself, and don't think they would drive the the shop before I pay either. So, there is a chance that you are buying junk, can't be rebuilt huh. I need to consider that too.

Thanks.

IDK your budget but if I needed to buy used it would probably be an Atomic Aquatics from scared silly here on the board - he sells nice stuff at fair prices. And I've never met the man. They really have a long service interval - 2 or 3 years which over time saves you money since it's labor, not parts that is 80% of a service charge.

full disclosure - all I've dove since about 2004 is Atomic - not the cheapest but they work.

On your list I'd buy the MK20 - it was top of their line for a long time b4 being replaced by the Mk25.

It's a chance you take. If they're divers now - their stuff is probably in good shape. If they inherited it from their deceased uncle - who knows?

If it's been sitting unused over a decade, personally I'd walk. We see a lot of posts like yours here and on many of them the seller is "sort of" accurate - or clueless as they inherited it.

I know several people who have taken used gear to be checked over. I would not have a problem with it if you asked me but asking me to take them in is pushing it...

Offer to leave a check for the full amount if you don't return them - you can always stop payment if they misrepresented what they told you.

I'm invested in this thread so give me a number that's the most you'd want to spend and let me do some looking (in our classifieds and online) Maybe you can do new/almost new for not much more than $3-400.

I've got a little time this afternoon

It's an older Sherwood Blizzard or possibly a Magnum - IDK the line well enough to be sure.
Real solid reg in it's time but I would not pay a lot for it now. It should be good to use if you can get it serviced but at $100 for service - add 0$150 or so more and you can buy new....(not including gauges/octo)

The gauges look to be late 80's or maybe a little newer.

How about telling us the PRICE? so we can comment on the deal.
No. It is not a Blizzard or a Magnum, the word Brut is clearly visible on the primary 2nd stage.

So, it's not worth it if I can't find kit or can't rebuild myself. I guess same goes for the first 3 choices (too old) then.
Thanks.
Why do you say you can't find a kit? I already wrote that the Sherwood parts kits should not be a problem - still available from Sherwood. Your only issue is if something else that typically does not need replacement is bad. That is unpredictable, need to open it up to find out. Some "main" parts are still available, some might not be.

Regarding the Mares, absolutely not. That 1st stage is the first generation of MR12, with the orifice machined into the body rather than removable. The current Mares poppet will perform horribly with that orifice, and the older poppet version(s) have been gone for years. Nothing you can do to upgrade it.

Sorry, can't speak to anything Scubapro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom