Which Regulators are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I bought a 1st stage already, but isn't this MK2 so cheap?

Scubapro MK2 Scuba Regulator
I personally wouldn't give over $50 for one. That's an old one, you can tell by the metal knob on top. The newer ones have the EVO cold water support and have a black plastic knob.

I don't remember the exact count but ports on a MK2 are pretty limited. One nice thing about a Mk2 is it's a downstream design so even if the reg completely faills it should deliver enough air to surface.

Gauges are agnostic - any set works with any regulator. All service techs do is change the spool.

I actually was going to suggest buying those used. There's a remote chance that water ran up the hose and corroded the spg but it's minimal.

But add up the used price, shipping and service costs and is it worth it? If it turns out the hose is bad you probably lose money.

I believe - but am not sure that a Mk20 is about 10 years newer than a Mk10. Not that it matters if you can get it serviced - that Mk2 you listed was first made in 1963.

If the difference is balanced/unbalanced (IDK) I'd get the Mk20. You might notice a difference with the Mk10 at depth as you near the end of a tank - work of breathing will increase.

The difference between Scubapro MK10 and MK20 is the MK20 is balance while MK10 is not. Am I right? Does it worth $100 more?

Is it true that any gauge set can used with any regulator? For example the old cheap gauges set (tank pressure and compass) like the one with the MK10 above, can it be used with a Atomic M1, Z2, or a $1k Scubapro?

Both the MK10 and MK20 are balanced. There are internal differences (if you really want to know about them you can search) but IMO the bottom line is that either will perform far better than you need. Blindfolded with the same 2nd stage you would never tell any difference. MK10 seats are easier to find through less-than-official means, there are no proprietary bushings (only standard o-rings) and as such I far prefer them because they are much easier and less expensive for me to service than Mk20s. MK20s are worth more, that's just the market; they're newer and were more expensive to begin with. They do have much higher flow rates and with the right piston, they are very solid, super high performance regulators. It doesn't matter in terms of real-world use.

Yes, any gauge set can be used with any regulator; they all have the same size HP fitting, except some really old vintage 1st stages. There are even adapters available for those.

The difference between Scubapro MK10 and MK20 is the MK20 is balance while MK10 is not.
Not correct. The MK10 and MK20 are both flow through piston designs. The MK2 is a flow-by piston.

Does it worth $100 more?
Maybe, maybe not. As Steve pointed out, the MK10 is an older generation so one could expect more wear-but not necessarily. Some of the earlier MK20ies have a brass tipped, rounded piston and are more subject to creep than a standard MK10. The MK20 parts count is also higher making them more fussy to rebuild.

Is it true that any gauge set can used with any regulator?
Pretty much true. Some really old gauge sets have a 3/8 inch fitting that would need an adapter.

Wow, I bought a 1st stage already, but isn't this MK2 so cheap? Scubapro MK2 Scuba Regulator

Old and simple-like me. :)
Speaking of which, I think the MK2 you just purchased has 3/8 inch ports both on the low and high pressure sides-so be very careful not to put a low pressure hose in a high pressure port. If your reg does have 3/8" hp ports, you'll need an adapter for most gauge sets. Also, while I would not have an issue using the yoke on your MK2, Scubapro recommends against using it for more than 2475psi.

1 thing I need to clarify, MK10 set $200, MK20 set $300 are minus $100 which I added for an octopus. Sorry for the confusion.

Remember to add the service cost to any used reg you purchase unless it comes serviced or you're capable of rebuilding it yourself. Each stage will cost somewhere between $20-40 for parts and about the same for labor.

I don't know how many shameless plugs I'm allowed here (or should use,) but the gear I have for sale has already been serviced. If you don't like mine, I'm sure that between:
@buddhasummer
@rsingler
@guruboy
@halocline

and a host of others right here on SB we can put together something you'll be more than happy with. In the long run it will be less expensive than what you're considering now.

@rnln

I hate getting reading assignments-but I don't mind giving them. Could I suggest you add the following to your homework?

The attached guide was written by our very own @halocline
The checklist was put together by the Usual Suspects.
Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

Attachments

• A Beginner’s Guide to Scuba Regulators.pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 106
On that mk2, it is possible (maybe likely) a shop will not service that unless you upgrade the yoke as they may not want the liability. Also, you likely will want a low preasure splitter. It is from before we were using two secondaries and a BC. Otherwise you will not be able to connect the three standard LP hoses of two second stages and an inflator for your BC. Unless you go with an Air two, which is not often recommended.

ETA:
+1 on PM ing (click inbox above and “start a conversation”) coup or one of those he lists and asking how much for a mk 2/5/10 with 109s, BAs, (or g250s). As historical octo or as streamlined open water set up. That will avoid issues.

The mk2 is unbalanced. The 5/10/15 are balanced.

Thanks everyone for valuable info and comments. I am reading more than once to remember as much as I can. Thanks Couv and Halocline for the document. This was exactly what I was asking around, friends, before I went pick up my first regulator this weekends.

Anyway, I already got the 1st and main 2nd stage now, and also the air source 2 integrated into the BCD inflator for Octopus. I am looking into the Mk10 set to use the gauges with what I have. I will look into rebuilding myself the G250 as learning curve. If I success, it can be my true octopus for extra secure

I am not getting the MK2. Since I see many people here love the MK2 and seeing one with good price, I just posted in case any one interested. I am not affiliated.

Are the hoses anything special? Should it be just hose crimp? Can they reuse the crimp at the end to crimp on the new hose?

Are the hoses anything special? Should it be just hose crimp? Can they reuse the crimp at the end to crimp on the new hose?
You don't touch the crimp, just unscrew the hose. It will have a little rubber bushing on the end, no need to lube it when you screw it onto the new set. If you do, don't get any in the airstream as it could get pressurized and coat your lungs (tiny chance)

finger tight then snug it with a wrench. No need to over tighten.

If you need a new hose, I get mine from Dive Gear Express although they just had an LP hose recall - mine are good

What did you get?

If I success, it can be my true octopus for extra secure
You don't really need it with an AirII so all that will do is add failure points. Good practice to rebuild it though.

Plus I believe the AirII has a proprietary fitting at the BC end so if you don't use it you have to change that to use with a standard inflator.

fyi in an airshare the AirII is your reg so keep it maintained.

Wow, I bought a 1st stage already, but isn't this MK2 so cheap?

Scubapro MK2 Scuba Regulator

Although cheap and pretty much buttetproof, that Mk2 is older and only has 2 LP ports. You are probably going to want at least 3 for anything but a stage / pony setup. You will need 2 for second stages and 1 for BC inflator hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom