which rig? (I am about to buy an SMS75 is this a mistake)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Bigeclipse if you're diving in cold enough water you're likely just using more gas in the drysuit for the beginning and are actually underweighted *also fairly common in drysuits with doubles, myself included* where if you were to actually use the entirety of your gas in the tanks, you would not be able to maintain a sufficiently large bubble in your drysuit for adequate warmth during decompression which slows offgassing. If you have a big thermocline *i.e. me diving in Jocassee this week*, that may not be an issue since it's in the 40's down below, but in the high 70's at the surface where I wouldn't want that amount of gas in the suit.

Drysuits are fickle mistresses when it comes to weighting properly....

@Bigeclipse if you're diving in cold enough water you're likely just using more gas in the drysuit for the beginning and are actually underweighted *also fairly common in drysuits with doubles, myself included* where if you were to actually use the entirety of your gas in the tanks, you would not be able to maintain a sufficiently large bubble in your drysuit for adequate warmth during decompression which slows offgassing. If you have a big thermocline *i.e. me diving in Jocassee this week*, that may not be an issue since it's in the 40's down below, but in the high 70's at the surface where I wouldn't want that amount of gas in the suit.

Drysuits are fickle mistresses when it comes to weighting properly....
You definitely make good points. I never got the doubles down to like 500-700psi. I think the lowest was 1000psi. I do occasionally use my wing for buoyancy so it’s not that big of deal. Now that I know this, I’ll make sure to always use my wing for buoyancy and just add air to the suit when needed.

Suit for squeeze or warmth, wing for buoyancy..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom