Which scubapro regulator is great but won't break the bank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hootie

Registered
Reaction score
American citizen currently living in the Cape Town
# of dives
50 - 99
Brand new to diving (won't even be certified until Sunday) but I would like to buy gear right away because we'll be leaving the US to relocate to South Africa for the next couple of years. Between now and then, we will be visiting Cancun, Hawaii, Australia and a couple of the Fijian Islands and plan to dive in all of them. I would be more comfortable with my own BC and regulator (as well as mask, fins, snorkel which I already have) and would like to buy them from the place who is teaching me to dive and all they sell are Scubapro products.

I am using an mk25/s600 to get certified but yikes! they are pricey! is there something a bit less expensive that's still nice and easy breathing in the scubapro product line?

oh and my next step is taking the PADI nitrox course so that might factor into which one would work for my situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to be "over sold" because I'm a pushover with sales people so I would like to appear partially knowledgeable!

Thanks in advance!

SubGear is the lower end "ScubaPro" line. www.subgear.com Some of the regulators are so similar that I've read that parts are interchangeable. [user]beaverdivers[/user] here sells both lines - they're a ScubaPro Platinum shop - I assume your SP dealer can also. They're sold in South Africa as well so getting them serviced there should be easier.

Last edited:
I second BeaverDivers. Ask for Casey.
Casey can probably get you into an excellent condition slightly used Scubapro reg. for a good price.
How do I know?
That's exactly what he did for me a couple of weeks ago.
Scubapro MK 25 / A700 for a great price. The MK 25 was used, the A700 is new.
Chuck

SubGear is the lower end "ScubaPro" line. www.subgear.com Some of the regulators are so similar that I've read that parts are interchangeable. [user]beaverdivers[/user] here sells both lines - they're a ScubaPro Platinum shop - I assume your SP dealer can also. They're sold in South Africa as well.

oh and my next step is taking the PADI nitrox course so that might factor into which one would work for my situation?

Not really

Brand new to diving (won't even be certified until Sunday) but I would like to buy gear right away because we'll be leaving the US to relocate to South Africa for the next couple of years. Between now and then, we will be visiting Cancun, Hawaii, Australia and a couple of the Fijian Islands and plan to dive in all of them. I would be more comfortable with my own BC and regulator (as well as mask, fins, snorkel which I already have) and would like to buy them from the place who is teaching me to dive and all they sell are Scubapro products.

I am using an mk25/s600 to get certified but yikes! they are pricey! is there something a bit less expensive that's still nice and easy breathing in the scubapro product line?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to be "over sold" because I'm a pushover with sales people so I would like to appear partially knowledgeable!

Thanks in advance!

A good alternative regulator would be the aqualung titan or the SP MK11/G250V. The titan is a perennial best buy. The MK11 is a fine, relatively simple first stage, and the G250V is a re-issued classic. Another bullet-proof classic is the MK2. For a long trip with (presumably) little access to service, this might be a good choice.

I realize you're loyal to your LDS because they taught you to dive, but that's no reason to limit yourself to the one brand of products they sell. They do that because of the favorable terms an exclusive sales agreement with scubapro, not because SP gear is any 'better' and there is ZERO advantage to outfitting yourself in one brand. I like SP regulators and know a lot about how they work and how they perform. But I would never buy a SP BC, I just don't like the designs. I would probably only buy a new SP regulator as a last resort; my favorites are the older ones, for lots of reasons.

Despite the earlier recommendations, I would avoid beaverdivers if you don't want to be over sold as you say. Since becoming a member of scubaboard, he has relentlessly posted the forum with sales pitches and is the poster child for an "eager-beaver" type salesman, typically with very little actual knowledge of the products demonstrated in his posts.

Buying used is a good idea for a new diver on a budget; you just need someone to help you evaluate gear, and this must be someone who's not trying to sell you anything. In particular, buying a used BC is relatively risk-free and can offer a HUGE savings. I would buy a very simple, streamlined, feature-less back-inflate BC. The best of these IMO are rigid backplate/wing systems. But, zeagle now makes one called the 'tech express' or something like that that's reasonably priced and has received good reviews from lots of users. It takes time to get enough dive experience to be able to accurately evaluate BC type, and there's a big difference between the different types while diving. So it might not be a bad idea to just rent them for a while or buy a used, cheap jacket. One of the most common mistakes new divers make is buying an expensive, bloated 'high end' jacket BC that looks great in the shop but actually dives like crap.

There's nothing wrong with waiting on gear purchase and renting for a while. Remember you'll have to carry all this gear around, and they do sell dive gear in South Africa, just don't buy a tank there and bring it back to the U.S.

Oh yeah, there's probably no reason for you to take the nitrox course right away; it won't do anything for your dive skills, and nitrox is very unlikely to increase your bottom time as a new diver unless you're diving many dives/day at fairly deep recreational profiles. It has NOT been demonstrated to increase safety margins in recreational diving, although many people make that claim and it certainly is possible that eventually there will be data that prove the assumption. But it's a class that's often pushed on new divers because it creates demand for another dive industry product, nitrox fills. I've been nitrox certified for several years and I only use it in specific situations; four or five dives/day to relatively deep depths. But for 2 dives/day, it really won't do much for you unless you're so good on air and so confident in your profiles that you can easily push air NDLs without lots of repetitive dives. Does that sound like a typical new diver?

I currently have a set of used Scubapro regs being rebuilt at Beaver Divers. I have had great communication with Casey. My regs are a MK20 UL with a S600 second stage. The set came with a R190 alternate, that I didn't want to use. After deciding on a G250V for the alternate I was given the choice of a new G250V at a good price, and three used ones, with various usage and cosmetic appearance, all fully rebuilt. My LDS recommended a large Midwest regulator service for the re-build. The MK 20 has a free upgrade (mandated by SP) on the yoke retainer. The un-named regulator service told me the MK 20 UL was not effected by the upgraded part. Casey verified with SP it indeed was, and is doing the replacement at no charge. Casey also priced-matched my best price on replacement hoses.

If it's Scubapro gear you want, I can also recommend Beaver Divers. In my recent experience Casey has provided great service, technical knowledge and pricing.

Last edited:
This is the same as a S550/MK17, the difference between the 600 and the 550 is the adjuster and (from what I hear) a metal air barrel. If you can get the new model for the same price or a bit more I would go with new model.

---------- Post Merged at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:57 AM ----------

I currently have a set of used Scubapro regs being rebuilt at Beaver Divers. I have had great communication with Casey. My regs are a MK20 UL with a S600 second stage. The set came with a R190 alternate, that I didn't want to use. After deciding on a G250V for the alternate I was given the choice of a new G250V at a good price, and three used ones, with various usage and cosmetic appearance, all fully rebuilt. My LDS recommended a large Midwest regulator service for the re-build. The MK 20 has a free upgrade on the yoke retainer. The un-named regulator service told me the MK 20 UL was not effected by the upgraded part. Casey verified with SP it indeed was, and is doing the replacement at no charge. Casey also priced-matched my best price on replacement hoses.

If it's Scubapro gear you want, I can also recommend Beaver Divers. In my recent experience Casey has provided great service, technical knowledge and pricing.

Tom I would recommend the G250V as the primary and the S600 as backup. The G250 has a metal barrel that will reduce dry mouth and the the S600 is a bit more compact.

Tom I would recommend the G250V as the primary and the S600 as backup. The G250 has a metal barrel that will reduce dry mouth and the the S600 is a bit more compact.

Thank you. My plan was to try both combinations. :)

Additionally the MK 20 UL will be fully upgraded to MK 25 UL specs, right down to the new (free of charge) sticker. :)

I have a Mk-20 UL, I did not realize they still had upgrading kits available.

Back
Top Bottom