Which semi-dry is the warmest? (Hollis vs Waterproof vs ?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeSWE

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi! I am on my way to buy a semi-dry to dive in Scandinavian waters (the Baltics), ie pretty cold ones. Does any of you know which is the warmer one of the Hollis Neo Tek and the Waterproof SD4? To me they seem of similar quality, but I have not found any direct comparison which is warmest only that they both are warm and as no store here sell both brands it is difficult to ask… Or do you have any other recommendations for semi-dry that I have missed?

(Yes, I know I should get a drysuit which work all the year around. In principle I agree, and I have used and do use drysuit but I also want a semi-dry as I like it (and also as I sometimes like not to bring undergarments.)

Scandinavia? That's my home waters, albeit on the west side of the peninsula (I assume that when you say "Baltics", you mean the Baltic sea, not the Baltic states). I'd recommend forgetting about the semi-dry and going dry instead.

Scandinavia? That's my home waters, albeit on the west side of the peninsula (I assume that when you say "Baltics", you mean the Baltic sea, not the Baltic states). I'd recommend forgetting about the semi-dry and going dry instead.

I will do both, but I have a thing for diving in wetsuits.

I know multiple people who swear by the AquaLung Solafx semi dry.

I have a thing for diving in wetsuits.
I have a thing for being comfortably warm during the SI... :D

You do what you want to do, but apparently it isn't what I'd want to do :) I still remember diving with mates who showed up in semi-drys. They used every trick in the book (incl. the Thermos bottle of warm water to pour down inside their suits AND the Thermos bottle with hot, sweet tea), but they were still pretty chilled during the SI. We who were dry were snug and warm. And this was late July.

I have no experience with the Waterproof Semi-Dry, but I am a big fan of their products. I have 2 friends that dive in the Hollis NeoTek and they both are extremely happy and seem to be quite warm and comfortable.

Not being familiar with the Waterproof D4, I just went to take a look at one online. As much as I am a fan of their products, what would turn me off in a comparison to the Hollis or the Aqua Lung mentioned by others is that it is a back zip. Personally, I wouldn't want a wetsuit or drysuit that I could not get into and out of by myself. Also, I would prefer to have an integrated hood like the Hollis and Aqua Lung have.

I have a neo-tech, it’s a very good wet suit but I don’t like diving it in water below 62°f, I’ve started diving a Seaskin neoprene dry suit which I think dives close to a wetsuit as far as feel and comfort.

I heading to the new tropics, SoCal, to dive Catalina tomorrow and I’m bringing the Hollis, this morning I tossed my 3 mil into the bag because I’m afraid the water will be to warm for the Hollis. Normal Monterey temps are 52° to 55° and I can do an hour long dive wet but I start obsessing about getting out of the water at about 45min.

If you have excellent cold tolerance you may be able to dive wet but I would give extra consideration to a dry suit and apply the wetsuit savings toward it to mentally reduce the cost. Add a pee valve, you’ll solve the only real advantage the wetsuit has over a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom