Which spear gun? How to choose the right one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For now I like to have a little gun when rec diving. Even a 1 sling 24" gun. Just never know when you might need it. Even if it ended up being wall decoration.

As for the big gun for serious bluewater hunting. Base on my short studying. Correct me if I am wrong.
(1) Buy the longest gun that one is able to physically reach the sling without stretching for loading. (Looks like a 42" is about right)
(2) Next buy the strongest sling one can safetly & physically pull down to lockdown/load.
(3) Buy features that are important to one's own desire.

With this figured out. I definitely want the guided track for accuracy. Which brand are the one that have a particular gun sling mounting pattern that allows for less stress and more accuracy?

What other feature are a must have and are nice to have?

I am almost ready to buy.

reef, ab biller and jbl all make good guns. the reef guns are pricy. and some report it shooting high from the tork. I dont know from exp. but I have herd it more than once. ab biller and jbl are more affordable. and there is always a risk of loosing it. and it hurts when you pay the big bucks. I like the wood shaft guns. quiet in the water and seem to be more durable. a mid range gun should be just fine. and will prepare you for maneuvering a larger gun. some better deals can be found on line. you will adapt to your gun. it takes exp to hon. your accuracy. you generally don't aim it like a traditional gun. again depends on the target species. break away tips are good for larger game. good luck

In Florida's clear water a scuba diver needs at a minimum a 48" gun, especially SE FL.

Otherwise get a pole spear for small fish at close range. You can later use it in the Bahamas.

You will be shooting bottom fish on reefs and wrecks. Start off with hogfish... great eating and pretty stupid. Move up to snapper and grouper as you get more experienced.

Bluewater is a term for shooting pelagic fish while freediving, nowhere near the bottom.

Spearfishing varies greatly by region. If you go in a bunch of SE FL dive stores and ask you will see and hear "48 to 54 Biller or Seahornet wood guns", over and over. Mahogany will work just fine, or get teak if you want to spend the $. Such a gun can be lineshafted or freeshafted. They are hip loaders designed mostly for scuba.

Chad

I got 36", 40", 48", 60" (shafts) JBLs, Aluminum and Woody guns, I personally like the biggest gun available at the time.
If you want a fast shaft, get a 5/16" or thinner shaft, for punch get a 3/8" shaft.
For big game, use some kind of break away tip to be easier on the gear, for rocks or reef, use a rockpoint tip, for max penetration, use an tricut, bulletnose or arrowhead (these will suffer and loose edge very quick against rock or reef), IMO, spiner heads are better than fixed heads.
If you use a screw on tip, there are 2 schools of thought, one is tighten it with pliers and the other is hand tight the tip, I prefer hand tight and keep an eye for it not to unscrew with time.
Treat a speargun as you would treat any firearm, always keep it pointed in a safe direction and make sure what your target is and what is beyond the target before shooting, keep the finger off the triger until ready to shoot ect.

Just a few tips, but hope this helps with your decision:crafty: :crafty: :crafty:

A pic of my 63" overall woody JBL

DSC01095.jpg

Stay away from spearboard but if you go there be aware that it is crawling with shills and commercial operators. Its usefulness is primarily for people like me who have enough experience to see through the crap; and, who enjoy comparing DIY and exotic guns. By now, you have received some PM's and are in their clutches, LOL. Oh, well.

If I'm wrong, go to EBay and buy a late model Biller 48 mahogany. Purchase 3, 9/16 amber bands of 20- 22 inch length depending on your needs and abilities.

Oh those horible,horrible guys at spearboard.
Just some of the world's best spearfishermen willing to help just about anyone.Very few elitist attitudes are tolerated and almost no question is treated with contempt.
Some guys still doing it after 50 years of spearfishing.Yeah,they are pure evil:mooner: .

Back
Top Bottom