Which strobe for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased a Canon A640 and a Canon WP-DC8 housing.

Which strobe should I get and from where??!!!-kind of in a hurry on this one, so the sooner the better...going to Roatan.

and if you live in Minneapolis, I might be willing to rent your digital strobe for 10 days.

Thanks
Mike

Since you have to go fiberoptic, Inon D2000s is very nice. New Sea & Sea YS110 is lighter, more positively bouyant, similar power and also offers their DS-ttl which like the Inon S-ttl powers the strobe based on reflected light from your subject. Both can be used full manual as well.

Both of those are in that neighborhood, you should be very happy with either. They both have multiple light elements for a very wide light spread and auto or manual capabilities. You'll need to factor in a fiberoptic cable and attachment system in your total, though. I STRONGLY advise against buying a cheap strobe. Spend the extra to get a good one. You'll thank yourself later, and in the long run it will be cheaper.

Was it a mistake to get the Canon housing instead of the Ikelite?

Will my MXIIEX stay connect to the Canon housing?

I have two YS60 strobes for my MXIIEX...I suppose I can't use those on this new system.

This is far too confusing!

If your YS-60s are optical slaves, they'll work fine with the Canon. If they are hardwired to a hotshoe, you can't use them.

No, the YS60s arent optical slaves, but with the Heinrich/Weikamp ttl converter I didnt think that was a problem?

I might be in a little over my head on this photography thing.

I think H/W might have come out with a solution for you. My previous suggestion that your YS-60s wouldn't work, was because your camera doesn't have a hotshoe, which the H/W converters use to convert the camera signal to the Nikonos protocol on the strobe. I see in the Reefphoto internet catalog that they now list a "digital optical adaptor" for Sea and Sea 4 pin or Nikonos cables. It doesn't say much about it, but I assume this will convert the flash from your camera to an electrical signal for your strobes. I would contact Ryan at Reefphoto to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom