Which suit and how thick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT,

If it helps, my shortie fits the same or snugger than the full suit. You just pull it on over the top and it seems to work fine, not too snug.

If you were going to only wear it over your 3mm, then maybe you could get a short sleeved 5mm shortie made up to fit snuggly over the 3mm.

Thanks for the responses guys. I really should find out the water temps before I commit to anything but at least now it seems I have more options to consider.

There are several reasonably priced drysuits that will be much more versatile than any wetsuit option you can imagine. In addition, you will have much better mobility than all that neoprene.

BTW, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were using the provincial flag of Newfoundland as your Avatar. Are you from The Rock, boyo? :wink:

Take care, eh?!

~SubMariner~
A Canuck in the Deep South

I definately like my semi-dry. It took a few dives but we became great friends. By adding gloves and a drysuit hood I can dive in a very wide range of temperatures. I current use a 7/5 mil. I have seen a 5/3 that would possibly work well for you. I think that they provide a great option for those of us that can't afford a dry suit yet. They cost about a third of what you will pay for a dry suit. Besides, you don't need P-valve on those longer dives. :D

Good diving. :)

I don't know about that semi-dry...I mean...you're still wet, right?

Of course, I've never dove one either, so maybe I'm missing out.

What temperatures are you comfortable in with that suit landlocked? I can't go the dry suit route here. I don't think they make them and any piece of scuba gear imported is subjected to 55% luxury import tax. Phew! And I thought Canadian taxes were high.

Cheers Submariner, I'm a newf but I've been living in Korea for the last 2 1/2 years. I miss screech so much. Oh yeah...and my family too.

Shadow once bubbled...

Don't petroleum based products cause rubber to break down? Would the oils in hair conditioner speed the deterioration of neoprene? Perhaps a water-based lubricant would be a better choice ...

Just wondering ...

Hair conditioner is totaly harmless, water soluble. He's not going to smooth on axle grease to put on his wetsuit.:bash:

Surely there must be SOME way to bring drysuit it? A visiting friend or relative perhaps? Or do a little "dive trip" out of the country, only to return with a an extra piece of gear? Just thinking aloud... :wink:

FYI:
Trilam temps -- so far I've been down to about 50F (10C) in my trilam (only had it since we've lived in the US). Pearce has dove in a trilam to +1C (34F). Like with any drysuit, it's what you put on UNDER the suit that determines how warm you will be.

So you miss your screech and your family. Good to see you have your priorities in the right order. :lol:

How'd you wind up in Korea? PM or email me, eh?!

Take care,

~SubMariner~
A Canuck in the Deep South

i'm not too sure about the term "semi-dry", but i use a 7 mm bare arctic supra w/ 5 mm hood in 39 degree water on december 23 off of new jersey and only my pinkies were numb. it's a really good suit but even it has it's limitations .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom