Which type of BC for DM/Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jungho Kim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am currently working towards my DM and plan to go on towards my Open Water Instructor certification. Question I have is the type of BC to get for DM'ing and Instructing... I currently own a Knighthawk and the Diverite Transpac harness; neither of which has much storage. Some have told me that I should get a jacket style as it is easier to float at the surface for long periods without tipping forward e.g. remember the surface rescue while giving rescue breaths? Any thoughts on this? I frankly do not have a frame of comparison... I was considering getting the Seahawk for the extra storage while sticking to a back inflate style but I hearing more that the jacket style is the way to go...

thanks in advance,

JK

I've got a Knighthawk and a Transpac (Nomad XT) and neither works well for all the surface work we have to do. I've been assisting a Rescue Diver class and spend much of the pool time floating on the surface and it gets very uncomfortable. My back would ache for most of the next day from arching so much.

I recently purchased a used jacket style BCD - a SeaQuest Latitude - for the pool work. It cost $100, has big pockets and is very comfortable on the surface. I also don't have to worry about the chlorine destroying my good BCDs.

Personally I've preferred a Jacket style like the Pro QD, because it puts more flotation under your arms, and really gets your head out of the water, while still giving good trim underwater. However, I've found that a good diver can make just about any BC perform well. I usually use a jacket for pool work, and a BP/W for open water.

As a more prosaic point of view, though, some shops will prefer that you wear the BC that results in the most sales for the shop.

All the best, James

If you're still under the misbelief that a BP&W will tip you forward at the surface, then you've probably not had much experience diving with a BP&W. That statement is a myth that is only propagated by people who don't have enough all-round dive experience to know how to transition to using a different style of BCD. I've dove, DM'd and instructed exclusively using a BP&W for the last 8 years - it's a perfectly fine option. That includes numerous rescue courses.

Storage isn't a problem with BP&W either - because it's modular and you can add pockets to the harness if you need them. However, most experienced BP&W diver prefer to use thigh pockets on their exposure suit. These are easy to add as a DIY task... or you can get them added professionally.

I don't dive with a BP&W... The Transpac is not a BP&W... For personal diving, I find both the Knighthawk and Transpac are just fine at the surface... The key is not over-inflating but just enough to keep my head above the water... frankly, I have yet to find the need to stay at the surface for too long... That said, this is different from teaching or assisting a class... Also, I have explicitly been told that I can't use a BP&W when DM'ing or instructing as the equipment is different from what the students learn with... I guess this is not the case?

btw, I am planning on picking up a Halcyon Infinity BP&W but like hell I will be putting that sweet setup in the pool on a regular basis...

If you're still under the misbelief that a BP&W will tip you forward at the surface, then you've probably not had much experience diving with a BP&W. That statement is a myth that is only propagated by people who don't have enough all-round dive experience to know how to transition to using a different style of BCD. I've dove, DM'd and instructed exclusively using a BP&W for the last 8 years - it's a perfectly fine option. That includes numerous rescue courses.

Storage isn't a problem with BP&W either - because it's modular and you can add pockets to the harness if you need them. However, most experienced BP&W diver prefer to use thigh pockets on their exposure suit. These are easy to add as a DIY task... or you can get them added professionally.

Thanks all for the advice... I'm going to talk to my instructor about using their equipment for awhile before making an investment to buy new equipment... I will eventually get something that is appropriate to DM and teach with that I don't mind trashing in the pool...

A good plate and wing properly rinsed will not get trashed in the pool. The argument for having a jacket type bc because that's what students will be using is a load of crap. A competent instructor will not need to be wearing one and certainly not require his assistants to wear them. Unless they are being used as billboards for the shop who wants to sell the highest margin gear to the unknowing students regardless of whether it's the best choice for that student. I would never require a DM to buy gear just because it is sold by the shop. If shops want you in their gear they should provide it free of charge. Either rental gear or they can order you in an extra bc and reg. DM candidates should never be told they cannot use gear they already own. Unless you are going to not charge them for the class.

This stuff is the bs that really gets my goat. It is perpetuating the thing that is killing the industry. The lie that the dive center is the heart of the industry. The student and individual diver is the heart. Followed by the instructor. The "center" is a distant third. Take care of the student, the diver, and the instructor and the shop will not only survive but it will thrive. When agencies and manufacturers put the shop first and let it be known that is where their focus is they are saying to the heart of the industry (divers), you don't count for anything other than your cash.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatal

1 Instructor & 2 Students.

1 BP&W + 2 Jacket BCDs.

Problems? None... :)

n726531033_888060_5199 [320x200].jpg

Just my opinion here but here is my suggestion. Get something similiar to what the dive shop will be using to teach their students (Or the ones you will be teaching). I have found that when you are explaining things like the quick releases you can point to the ones on your BCD and they will automaticly be able to find them on theirs. I have no real negatives to give on BPWs except I did go face first every time I used one. Now this may be a myth or it may not be but I will be up front and honest I never really used one all that much.

One particular BCD Hybrid that seems to get more praise then negatives (though they do get a ton of that) is the Zeagle Ranger. It is a cross between a BPW and a BCD. The down side to a hybrid though is you get a little of both and not the full beneifit of either.

This is just an opinion and its only worth what its worth.

I see no reason to invest in new gear until you're actually employed as either a DM or OWSI. You have gear now, use it.
When you start looking for work, equipment should be a topic of discussion. The dive center will tell you, teach in what you have or you need to use what we sell.
You then have a choice, regardless of what anyone here thinks.

Back
Top Bottom