Which type of BC for DM/Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes but the ego has nothing to do with the equipment. It has more to do with "I am the instructor".

why wear doubles when teaching open water student? There is obvious reason in the PADI standard you don't dive a CCR with open water student.

What has doubles and CCR got to do with all these?

why have long hoses when you are teaching ow student.

Why not?

You put these together with doubles and CCR in one paragraph but its really all different. Long hose is a configuration issue while doubles and CCR are extra and different equipment. Even so, there is nothing wrong with teaching OW in doubles.

Again, if one is not able to teach in BP/W and/or long hose, dont blame the gear or the configuration; its a skills problem, whether its a personal skills or teaching skills or both. Look at the video below, it is a OW class from confined to openwater in gears that are supposedly confusing to students; but I am going to bet that their skills and confidence will be more than a tad higher than your average run of the mill OW certification.

[video=vimeo;4590389]http://vimeo.com/4590389[/video]

Only 1 video per post, so here is the OW portion of the same course. All bp/w, all long hoses. No problem.

[video=vimeo;4761896]http://vimeo.com/4761896[/video]

I am a little late to the discussion, but I always prefer to have the same type of gear that my students are using. As you get more experience you will be able to transition between just about any style or type of BCD with relative ease. So, just find out if the shop your thinking about working with will allow you to use their gear before you invest in another set....

Most new BCDs have adequate D=rings, that allow you to carry just about anything you may need on a training dive. The only issue with not having any pockets (for me) is the inability to carry a couple of extra weights in the pocket should the need for them arise...

Cheers,
Roger

My shop and Inst is fine with my BP/W setup and long hose config for Open water. For the pool they are requesting a "normal" regulator setup i.e. Primary (no long hose) and Backup stowed somewhere in the triangle on an easy assesable holder, BP/W is fine here as well.
Like i said, no issues with the BP/W for either situation. They are a "H" dealer and my normal GUE approved open water rig is fine in open water even doubles, and drysuit with a few instructors, but that going to be a bit instructor mandated.
So my advice... Ask your instructor and if questioned state your reasons logically. If its a no go for what ever you want. get some shop gear off the rental rack and go splash.

Last edited:
I asked about equipment needs when I was considering going through the DM and eventually the instructor program. I was told a couple of things... When teaching OW students it simplifies things to have equipment similar to what they are wearing during the instruction for the reasons stated above. I was told my back inflate was okay but I would not be able to wear my BPW during OW classes. For all other classes my BPW would be acceptable. The only other restriction was it all needed to be equipment brands available from the dive center.

I asked about equipment needs when I was considering going through the DM and eventually the instructor program. I was told a couple of things... When teaching OW students it simplifies things to have equipment similar to what they are wearing during the instruction for the reasons stated above. I was told my back inflate was okay but I would not be able to wear my BPW during OW classes. For all other classes my BPW would be acceptable. The only other restriction was it all needed to be equipment brands available from the dive center.

Another myth. A good instructor can get the skills and message across in any configuration. And I hope they are supplying all the shop brand gear you do not have.

brand requirements are ridiculous and just gouging. difference is good.

Although being competent in explaining the features of store stocked items is helpful for the business. I know people try to separate store and instructor staff but it's the same company, you should be proud of who you work for and know their products. As long as you are honest in what you're telling students then why not do a bit of a sales pitch for items if the initiate it.

brand requirements are ridiculous and just gouging. difference is good.

When I was looking at some of my local shops for a DM program, I asked the course director at one of the shops about using equipment he doesn't sell. His response was a somewhat awkward "You could use it, but it's extremely preferable that employees and interns wear gear we sell." (not exactly his words, but that's the gist.) He had 2 reasons: 1)Students are likely to inquire about gear they see being used. Fair enough, I can understand the billboard concept though I have my doubts about it working in practice. 2) Safety issue: "if you didn't buy it here, it's not guaranteed to be safe", or something to that effect. His comment here was slightly roundabout so I'm not entirely sure where he was going with it but I think it could be taken 2 ways: You bought gear somewhere else so how do you know that it's safe (umm, seriously?) and how do the students know it's safe? I doubt students care about the safety of their instructor's gear as long as their own (rental) gear isn't bubbling/hissing/etc, which leads me to the second way of taking it: Students see you wearing gear the shop doesn't sell, they might wonder what's wrong with the stuff the shop does sell. Again, though, how much attention are students really paying to what you're wearing vs what you're doing with what you're wearing?

His safety comment is a big reason I'm not going to do my DM with his shop. He might have a panic attack, anyway, if I were to show up with my gear, of which none of the big-ticket items are available at his shop, but they are all available at his competition 20 mins down the highway. I've even had 2 of his instructors either tell me privately not to buy a certain reg they're supposed to promote or show interest in my gear ("I'm supposed to wear what the shop sells but I really want one of those, how's the...", eg)

I just gave in to a really cheap used BC for the pool only. its back inflate and in reasonable shape. this will save my Halcyon gear from the chlorine which is pretty extreme on the gear. The shop prefers that a similar system to the students be worn in the pool - OW is normal OW rig (Long hose, bp/w, etc) since your not demo-ing. only watching the students, leading, helping with issues etc. get a used something for the pool, and save your nice rig for OW.

I just gave in to a really cheap used BC for the pool only. its back inflate and in reasonable shape. this will save my Halcyon gear from the chlorine which is pretty extreme on the gear. The shop prefers that a similar system to the students be worn in the pool - OW is normal OW rig (Long hose, bp/w, etc) since your not demo-ing. only watching the students, leading, helping with issues etc. get a used something for the pool, and save your nice rig for OW.

Ya never know about a class, your instuctor may be in a BP/wing during OW.....but then again, your DM might just have some "classic" gear on. :eyebrow: 12 new DMCs to have fun with, gonna be a fun summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom