Which, where and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamesbon92007,
It used to be very easy, there seems to be a hiccup just now and prices are hovering around $1,300 for a flight from Miami to Bonaire with Delta through Atlanta for the dates I was planning on visiting. We just went in May, and it was less than $400 per person. Other routes with more reasonable amounts take us through Colombia, and the ordeal is like 20 hours each way with several stops.

Yes, I see some deals but require too much creative thinking and flexibility which is what I'm having some difficulty understanding, specially if anyone is looking to visit Bonaire from the U.S. I would think Florida, gateway to the Caribbean, would be or should be somewhat easier for Bonarians to access, as well as us.

I'm also considering a direct flight to Curaçao, then taking an island hopper. The challenge here is that the options are limitted. Insel Air, which we have used several times, has left us stranded several times, and doing business with them is going in knowing that there is a high likelihood that you will be delayed, your luggage can also be delayed, and counting on a return flight connection is just a gamble.

I think it's only a temporary thing. I trust JetBlue or Delta will see an opportunity here and fill in the void soon. Insel has the Miami-Bonaire routes, but it's not fulfilling them just now.

Ricardo

Jamesbon92007,
It used to be very easy, there seems to be a hiccup just now and prices are hovering around $1,300
Ricardo
\

Meanwhile there are plenty of other places to go :) I'm actually thinking of spending a few days on Catalina Island which is local to me. After diving in Caribbean waters with over 100' visibility and 82 degree temps it's somehow less appealing, even though I dove there many times before I was spoiled.

Hear Hear!!! You are absolutely correct. Plenty of places to go and explore. Enjoy Catalina Island.
Cheers,
Ricardo

I was looking into going to Bonaire from California a while back and just kinda gave up. The flights I was finding were something like 36 hours with a bunch of long layovers at a couple of airports that I wasn't sure existed. Is it similar from Florida?
I fly out of LAX this Saturday morning to Bonaire with one short layover in Houston and arrive at 6:20pm local time, which is 3 hours ahead of us on the West Coast. United flies into Bonaire on Saturday's from Houston and returns on Sunday mornings. The absolute best way for us to get there from the West Coast. My dive buddy is doing the exact same thing, but flying out of Portland and then we connect on the Houston to Bonaire leg.

Back
Top Bottom