which wing (how much lift)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if you guys could help figure out which wing; how much lift I need.
I plan on getting the pioneer 27 or 36. I have a SS BP (dive rite), will mostly be diving Al 80's with the occasional Al 100, though I want to get some E7-100 when they come around again. I dive a 3mm 1 piece wetsuit (hood in cooler months).
A little more info, and another question.... I currently dive a seaquest balance and dive with about 10-12lbs of weight. I'm trying to decide if I should get a weighted STA or not to go with the SS bp. Any thoughts on that.
Thanks,

Jason

As a general rule if you have enough lift to float all of your gear plus weights then you're ok. In your case you're looking at 6lbs for the 100cf tank, 12 for the weightbelt and maybe 5 or so for the rest. I'd think that 27 should be the right size for you. Try that one in the pool and see if it feels right.

On the subject of the plate. I think you're in the grey area in terms of the weight you need. I think you need to try both plates and see how much ditchable weight you're left with. My first impulse is to say go with the SS plate to move most of your weight off of the belt but with the suit you're using it might turn out to be a little heavy. You might also find (don't ask me why) that you need a shade less weight with the bp/wing than you needed with your jacket.

R..

Jason,

You are likely to need less weight in a BP&W simply because most jacket BCs are positive.

Take your BC, empty out all the air and throw it in the pool. See how much lead you need just to sink your empty BC.

The classic BP&W traps no air, no foam, etc. It all neg.

Your wing needs to be able to do two things:

First is to float your rig at the surface without you in it, it's handy not to have your rig disappear if you remove it before scrambling back into a small boat.

The in water weight of most single rigs is less than 20lbs, often a lot less. Just add up the weight of the tank, plate, regs etc.

The second function of the your wing or BC or Buoyancy Compensator is to compensate for the loss of buoyancy your wetsuit experiences as you descend. If you know how much lead it takes to sink just your wetsuit, this is the max lift you can loose. (Gotta go to about 165fsw to completely crush a wetsuit)

Most wetsuits, even large 7mm can be sunk with 25lbs or less.

All the above assumes you are weighted to be neutral at the surface with no air in your BC.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Tobin

The 27 and the 36 are the same size wing. The 36 has expandable panels. Therefore I'd go with the 36. It isn't going to have any more drag than the 27.

That extra lift may also help in rough water to float you higher. I've found that when the waves are big and I'm waiting for the boat to come get me I appreciate the extra lift.

cool_hardware52:
Jason,

You are likely to need less weight in a BP&W simply because most jacket BCs are positive.

Take your BC, empty out all the air and throw it in the pool. See how much lead you need just to sink your empty BC.

The classic BP&W traps no air, no foam, etc. It all neg.

Tobin

Tobin is spot on here. I dropped 10#'s of weight going from a Ranger to my Signature wing.

Hey, Jason!
If it helps - I dive with 100 E-7 and Halcyon SS BP.
I've picked a Eclipse 30# wing and STA with it.
After a several BCs in past - this is an ultimate setup for me.
I wear a 3mm full suit and a 5 mm hood with bib - no weight belt!
I'm a 180Lb and 5'11"

Best regards :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom