Which Xcel wetsuit should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug444

Registered
Reaction score
After much looking I found a good deal on an Xcel. I am going with MT size since I am 6 feet even and 165 to 170.

Its a bit hard to tell the difference except for higher price = better stuff. I dive the Caribbean only really but I do run cold.

Options in my size
Drylock 3\2 $214
Axis 3\2 $89 (back $94)
Axis 4\3 $94
Comp 4\3 $109
Comp 3\2 $84
Infiniti sold out of my size

Not sure why Axis is less just bigger sale it says. I was thinking go for the Drylock at that price since I can afford it but it is double the price.

Diving 2-3 trips a year, 4-10 dives a trip but hope to bring that up a bit. Next is Isla Mujeres and Roatan.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

I would go for the Axis 4/3 for several reasons. I have an Xcel 3/2 (I think it's a Thermolite...) that I use in the Caribbean when the water is 81 to 83. And I wear a 5mm when the water is 78 to 80. Some people dive with a thinner suit, or no suit, in these temps but I've found that I'm never too warm with these suits in these temps and when I used to wear less protection (long ago... I've learned) I would feel a lot more fatigued at the end of the day. The subtle effects of hypothermia can really creep up slowly over a few hours, a day or a week.

I also have a couple 7/6 Xcel suits that I use for local (Southern Calif) diving. I've worn one out because I loved it that much. Xcel makes great suits for the money.

So back to the reasons: the 4/3 is right between the two ranges I've mentioned above. So if you have to choose just one suit for year-round Caribbean diving, it seems 4/3 would be a good compromise and would keep you warm enough in 78 degree water but not too warm in 83 degree water. Second reason... for the price, you can't go wrong. The worst that happens is you get a nice suit that works well for most of your diving, but you decide to get a second suit (either a little thicker or thinner) for when the water is a little cooler or warmer.

Hope this helps!

Deep 6 has their 3mm on sale for $150 shipped. Feature heavy and is warm for a 3mm so if you tend to be cooler this may be perfect for you. You also get pockets. Who doesn’t love pockets. I recently got mine and it’s extremely nice for the price they’re onsale for considering they're normally $300.

3mm Deep 6 Wetsuit

Deep 6 has their 3mm on sale for $150 shipped. Feature heavy and is warm for a 3mm so if you tend to be cooler this may be perfect for you. You also get pockets. Who doesn’t love pockets.

Pockets are nice... sometimes. Better if they are removable. My Waterproof suit has a pocket similar to the one on the Deep 6 suit, but the Waterproof pocket can be removed (it's secured to the suit by velcro) when I don't need it.

So the Drylock is not worth the extra $? I was thinking the better tech may make a 3/2 like a 4/3. But as a rec diver maybe the high end is not worth it.

thanks

Pockets are nice... sometimes. Better if they are removable. My Waterproof suit has a pocket similar to the one on the Deep 6 suit, but the Waterproof pocket can be removed (it's secured to the suit by velcro) when I don't need it.
While this is true. You can only add one pocket to the waterproof 3mm. Which you then have to buy on top of the wetsuit. The deep 6 has 2 pockets and come included. For the $150 price. Better to have and not need then need and have to spend extra money on top to get. Buy once cry once.

The 4\3 is actually a Axis X (vs regular Axis) so I went ahead and got that at $107 shipped ($250 msrp). I will let you know when I get it soon, and dive in it in 2 weeks.

thanks a lot

I got the wetsuit and while the size is correct i think - I hate the neck entry. I can kind of get it on myself but I cannot get the arms down by myself. Very difficult to get one and feels weird.

So I checked and a new sale has the Axis 4\3 backzip entry now at just $64.99! So I am returning the neck zip and getting the back zip. Even with 2 days shipping to make my dive trip it is still cheaper. They took the return no problem with great service.

The suit itself is very nice. At 71% off anyone looking for a suit should check it out. They have most sizes right now.
XCEL Axis X 4/3mm Backzip Wetsuit - Men's | Steep & Cheap

Will let you know how the backzip goes.
thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom