While on Vacation, Why don't u like other people changin your tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, sorry I got involved in that hijack. The original topic was a lot more interesting.

I like to set up my own gear, but I'm a DIY person like that--I don't use valet parking or bellboys at hotels either, and I love self check-out lines at the stores. It's not that I'm cheap-I still give tips, I just like to do it myself. Also I know my gear...I crack up when I'm diving somewhere warm and they freak out about the extra dangling hose on my rig that normally attaches to my drysuit--right as I'm jumping off the back of the boat they are yelling "Wait! Your BC isn't hooked up!".

For what it's worth I have never seen a fair tip from someone who demands to set up their own gear, and I have always said "sure, here you go."

What I'm saying is the set my own gear up divers I've seen are pissed already 'cause the price of the trip was more than they wanted to pay and they are looking for any reason not to follow local customs with regards to even over the top, beyond the call of duty service.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you're possibly CAUSING the low tip from these people.

You obviously have a pretty strongly held preconceived notion as to the motive of the set-my-own-gear-up divers which is much more than likely incorrect. (Based on this non-representative thread at least, where not a single person has said "I set my own gear up to help keep the tip low" and believe me, there are many here who would not be shy about saying so if that was in fact their motivation.)

Based on the tone and content of your posts here, I'm guessing you probably have a hard time hiding your clear disdain for what you believe these people's motives to be. This probably comes off as you being a bit pissy towards those customers. Since the biggest driver of tip amount is the ATTITUDE of the person providing the service, you can imagine that projecting a POOR one is not helping your cause.

For me, as a DM on a boat, I've seen no correlation between who sets the gear up and how much the tip is. I love when people are proactively self-sufficient (which is the majority of divers here) and let me know this, because for each one of those people I can spend that much more time tending to someone who needs more attention and help. And the net result is that BOTH people get the amount and type of service they desire. In fact, this is partly why I set my own gear up on vacation/liveaboard trips - knowing that the DM probably has a "problem child" or two on the boat, and not taking up their valuable time with me who doesn't need the help.

And I'm a VERY good tipper...unless you get pissy with me for setting my own gear up.

:eyebrow:

What I'm saying is the set my own gear up divers I've seen are pissed already 'cause the price of the trip was more than they wanted to pay

I just flat disagree. I set up my own gear. I am fortunate to be affluent enough not to worry too much about the cost of trips. And I always tip generously, even where the DM's service has been less than stellar, because I have sympathy for people who do a tough job for my benefit.

I worry about your tendency to generalise.

I usually set up my own gear, but if I am on an assignment where it is consider the 'norm' for the crew to set up divers' kit as part of a 'valet diving' service, then I am not going to kick up a fuss and demand to set up my own gear.

Christ, at the end of the day, how long does it take to quickly cast an eye over your camband to make sure it is tight, that the A-clamp or DIN fitting is correctly attached to the pillar valve, that your gas is on, there aren't any leaks and that you have a full tank?

It just makes me laugh when I read about people claiming it is dangerous to let someone else put your gear together. We aren't talking about them stripping down your reg and putting it back together again or anything that might actually cause something life-threatening. We are talking about a BCD being attached to a tank, and then regs being attached to the pillar valve and the power inflator. That's it, it's not rocket science or some weird dark art...

Mark

Yep odd too so many posts like that. I'd hazard to say that if you feel so insecure that you think it's life threatening to have a professional set up your kit, and can't verify if it's been done properly within 20 seconds you're probably the type of diver that most needs help.

If you follow pre-dive and buddy check procedures properly you will not even enter the water, never mind submerge even if someone completely messes up your setup.

If you re-read my post you might notice I qualified my slam in such a way as to not denigrate ALL SB members, just the CBD's that demand to set up their own gear. If you are not a CBD that demands to set up your own gear then I am not slamming you.

When I go on fun dives with other operators I allow them to do what they do. If they set up my gear I just check it over to make sure it's right before I get in the water. How hard is that!

For what it's worth I have never seen a fair tip from someone who demands to set up their own gear, and I have always said "sure, here you go."

Been to Hawaii diving several times..and as someone that has worked on dive boats, I tend to tip based on the quality of service provided (not the amount). On my last trip, I was twice what all the others gave.. and I set my own gear up...

But if the reason you are setting someone's gear up is to get a bigger tip, then it is not surprising you don't do well with the few others you encounter that don't want you to.

Actually, if you are doing things with just the goal of getting tips... that would explain your attitude, and why someone setting their own gear up would upset you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom