White Balance on Manta Ray Night Dive - Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soundfield

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be shooting some video of the Manta night dive in Kona. This is myfirst night dive with my Sony CX-150 / Equinox Housing and UK light Cannonrig. What is the best setting for the white balance for this dive. Since verylittle color will be in the shots of these Manta's, would the auto whitebalance work ok? Also, any other tips for shooting video on this night dive would beappreciated. I'm going to use this footage for a documentary we will be makingover the winter.

Thanks

One way to find things out is to do the dive yourself whichI did last week with Keller Laros (the Manta Man) and Jack’s Dive Locker. Thedive was amazing and lived up to it’s reputation 100%. It was hard to believe whatI was witnessing in person; like a choreographed underwater ballet; simply magical.

Regarding WB adjustments: it was easy to WB to my lightcannon with a WB card, the problemis that there are so many other divers with so many different lights, that itbecomes impossible to get an accurate setting for the entire dive. I made surethat I entered the water after most of the divers so I could be down longerthen them and their ambient light. When the Mantas came into range from theblackness with no ambient light, the color was spot on. The ambient light inthe beginning of the dive looked greenish in color. Since I had no way to WB tothe ambient light, I can only suggest fixing the WB in post production. So forme, I had to take two routes to get the job done. The footage came out greatand I will post upon completion. Definitely the night dive of a lifetime formost divers. All I can say is the WOW factor was in full force. Another tip I can give is to keep your lightsaway from the lens as much as possible to limit backscatter from the plankton. Havingnumerous 1000lb animals dive bomb your lights with mouths wide open and turningjust inches from your face is an experience you’ll never forget!

Back
Top Bottom