White Balancing for video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danhngo9594

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,
I have a question about using Video light in a Mixed light condition.
So I will be filming sharks at about 35feet deep, i believe I will still have some ambient light there. I also use 2 x 6000 lumen 5000K video light.
But what would be the best way to white balance?
- Set white balance to my video light Kelvin value (5000K) ?
- Set white balance to daylight?
- I heard people say that set white balance to Daylight and use Ambient filter over my video light, but I dont have ambient filter.
What would be your recommendation?
Thank you

How close are you hoping to get? What kind of water quality?

Those are going to be the major influencer to the decision.

If your hoping to get nothing but closeups in murky water, go with the lights.

If you have gin clear waters, I’d lean more on ambient and use the lights to ‘fill in’ any shadows if you get close enough (within 2m or so)..

Filters are relatively easy to make. Head over to a local Lighting Production house (theatre/entertainment lighting, not house/industrial/retail lighting) and you can pick up a ‘roll of gel’.

The sales person should ask (if not, you ask), for CC gel (colour correction) and give them the Kelvin spec on your lights to be used with daylight.

You can simply tape the gel over the light (or bungee, innertube, etc)

A full sheet should last you quite a while, even if you have to replace every dive.

_R

How close are you hoping to get? What kind of water quality?

Those are going to be the major influencer to the decision.

If your hoping to get nothing but closeups in murky water, go with the lights.

If you have gin clear waters, I’d lean more on ambient and use the lights to ‘fill in’ any shadows if you get close enough (within 2m or so)..

Filters are relatively easy to make. Head over to a local Lighting Production house (theatre/entertainment lighting, not house/industrial/retail lighting) and you can pick up a ‘roll of gel’.

The sales person should ask (if not, you ask), for CC gel (colour correction) and give them the Kelvin spec on your lights to be used with daylight.

You can simply tape the gel over the light (or bungee, innertube, etc)

A full sheet should last you quite a while, even if you have to replace every dive.

_R
Do you think at 35Ft it is too dark without. Videolight, it is also a shark feeding dive so, I will get quite close too the shark

Do you think at 35Ft it is too dark without. Videolight, it is also a shark feeding dive so, I will get quite close too the shark
Without knowing the water, daily conditions, which shark, your rig and a host of other factories..... it depends

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom