White stingray with black spots?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captain noob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Today after completing a couple dives during my vacation in cancun, I decided to relax with a little bit of snorkeling.
I didn't see anything too remarkable for about 30 minutes and the just as i was about to head back to shore I saw the most beautiful stingray I have ever seen.
It was about the average width of the stingrays you normally see in shallow waters, so maybe a foot or two wide.
But it was white and had black spots all over its body with a long, slender tail (maybe about 3 or 4 ft) and at the base of the tail it had what looked like three or four shorter tails.
It looked almost like a spotted eagle ray but with inverted colors.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this?! I've looked all over the internet and couldn't find one that matched it. I've missed dinner trying to identify it haha

YES!!! Kudos, i typed so many different combinations of black spots, white, and stingray into google and nothing like that came up. I appreciate it

Well the only problem is that its natural habitat is in the Pacific. its hard to imagine how it got to the Caribbean, but hey thats the fish I saw

I have seen an eagle ray with inverted colors in MEX. I was snorkeling off Akumal when a group of three came by; two with normal coloration and one with inverted colors.

Ok based off of what DTG and Sue said it must have been an eagle ray with inverted colors. It was swimming a little bit in front of me and it was kind of fast so i didnt see that distinctly shaped head. but it was defiantly flapping and not chilling in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom