White Stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mntlblok

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Between the bridge and the western end of the fishing pier at the Blue Heron Bridge dive site were a couple of little Lane Snappers last Sunday that had this white stuff on them. Fungi? Eggs? Bad living?

Kevin

IMG_7935wa2.jpgIMG_7939wa.jpgIMG_7942wa.jpgIMG_7944wa.jpgIMG_7951wa.jpgIMG_7955wa.jpg

Reminds me of "ich" (think that is the spelling) - a fungal infections I used to see in my aquarium from time to time.

Ichthyophthirius multifilis or Ich. Had never heard of it. Apparently a protozoan "infection". Didn't see any pics that looked like this, but it *is* white. :D

Kevin

I would guess it's a Lymphocystis virus. FA181/FA181: Lymphocystis Disease in Fish

*Way* more than I wanted to know about *any* fish disease, but it *was* kind of interesting. Noted:

[h=2]"Can lymphocystis be confused with any other diseases?[/h] Yes. In early stages of the disease, the nodules may be relatively small and may be confused with the parasites Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Ich, freshwater white spot disease), Cryptocaryon irritans (marine white spot disease), digenean trematodes ("grubs"), or heavy infection with Epistylis (a stalked, ciliated, protistan parasite). Lymphocystis nodules may also be confused with epitheliocystis (an intracellular bacterial disease), clumps of fungus, or mucus tags. Some skin neoplasias (cancers) may also be confused with lymphocystis.
Because of the potential confusion with other disease agents, diagnosis of lymphocystis should be accomplished by a qualified fish health professional to rule out these other potential causes."

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom