Whites Fusion: First dive impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The other day I posted some initial impressions on the Whites Fusion with tech skin here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/226858-whites-fusion-first-impressions.html

I finally had the opportunity to dive the suit at Point Lobos this past Saturday and thought I’d share some additional thoughts based on this dive.

Date: Saturday March 29, 2008
Dive time: 62 minutes
Depth (avg/max): 48’/82’
Temp at depth: 48 F

I was diving the suit with the Whites Mk2 undergarment, a Softwear 200 weight undergarment layered under that, and a Patagonia Capilene base layer. The rest of the exposure protection consisted of wool socks with the Whites neoprene 3mm socks over them, Altera boots, Diving Concepts dry gloves, and Otter Bay 12mm hood. Both the drysuit and the undergarments were a change from my normal setup (DUI CF200x, USIA Superstretch UG’s), so I had estimated a 4 lb increase in needed weight.
Donning the suit proved to be far less difficult than I had anticipated. Having done it at home several times, I had pretty well sorted out the process and managed to slip into the suit without drama. I did require help to completely close the zipper, although I think that better waxing may solve this problem. The pockets comfortably held wetnotes and spare mask on one side, and a small SMB and 100’ spool in the other, and there was very little skin sag even with pockets loaded. I was happy to see that I could easily manipulate the cap on the Halcyon p-valve, even though I hadn’t cut out a hole in the outer skin. I’m still debating if I’ll eventually cut the hole out, as it will need some sort of reinforcement. After some brief parking lot discussion about the suit with some of the other DMX’ers that were out that morning, we geared up and headed down the boat ramp and into the cove. Here I made my first new discovery about the suit- despite my initial misgivings about the Altera boots, I gained a newfound respect for them. It was low tide, the whole boat ramp was covered in a treacherous sliminess, and I suddenly really liked having a substantial sole on my boots that had some good traction. The sneaker-like sole provided sure footing and made navigating the rocks at the end of the ramp a breeze. I’ll share a little trick I used that seems to work well with these boots- instead of putting the hook at the end of the elastic in it’s intended cutout on the side of the boot, I wrapped the elastic all the way around the ankle and put the plastic hook onto the elastic cord on the front of the boot. This took up all the slack and held it in place very securely, whereas the hook previously kept falling out of the little cutout.
As we entered the water, I had a few nervous moments as I waited to see if my p-valve and dry glove installations were watertight. After assuring myself that I wasn’t taking on water we kicked out to the entrance to the cove, did bubble checks, and dropped down in about 30’ of water. I immediately noticed that this suit and undergarment combination is warmer than my normal setup. As we worked our way out, the suit’s flexibility and range of motion proved superb. Despite the tightness of the skin, I felt that movement was completely free and the suit felt very streamlined and easy to push through the water. The ‘feel’ of the suit was quite a bit different that what I’m used to. Normally, as I feel the suit start to squeeze and I add air I’ll feel a bubble form in the chest area and then disperse as the gas is distributed throughout the suit. With the Fusion, there’s no such effect. First, the squeeze is more subtle, and as gas is added to the suit there’s no discernable bubble and subsequent distribution of gas. The squeeze just sort of diminishes uniformly across the suit almost instantaneously. When I purposely over-inflated the suit (which I did on a few occasions to see how the suit would react) I could eventually feel a buildup of gas in the legs, but it took a lot of gas to get to this point- far more than I would normally add to eliminate suit squeeze. Working the gas back out of the legs to dump it proved trivial. My previous suit was ill-fitting- too short in the legs and too baggy in the torso, so I can’t say whether the improved gas management of this suit is attributable to the Fusion outer skin or to just having a suit that fits well (I suspect a little of both). What I can say is that, whereas managing the bubble(s) in my prior suit could be best described as herding cats, this suit is an absolute joy to dive. Despite the height of the Altera boots, I was very pleased that ankle flexibility was significantly better than with Rockboots.
Even with an extra 4 pounds on a weight belt, holding the 20’ stop at the end of the dive with 800 psi in the tanks proved very difficult. Back on the surface I drained the tanks down to about 500 psi and was unable to sink, so I’m estimating required weight at 6-8 pounds over my previous setup, which is the only negative thing I can think of to say. In all, the extra warmth and range of motion is still worth the extra weight in my book.
Once out of the water, the weight of the wet outer skin and pocket contents did cause significant sagging of the skin, and I was definitely sporting the gangsta look. Still, comparing the weight of this suit to the weight of a wet CF200, this suit is significantly less heavy when wet. Whether the sagging causes any degradation of the skin over time remains to be seen. A grippy surface on the inside of the skin (something like the kneepad overlay) in the area of the pockets would be a welcome addition in preventing pocket/skin sag.
All in all, my initial impressions after one dive are that the suit delivers a custom-like fit in stock sizes (my main reason for purchasing), and definitely lives up to the hype about tremendous flexibility, range of motion, and easy 'diveability'. Regardless of how many (or few) undergarments are layered, the suit delivers a tight, streamlined fit and swims very easily. As others have pointed out, durability is the suit’s big unknown at this point, but the replaceable skin should take the brunt of the punishment and permit easy and inexpensive replacement. Hopefully you've found this helpful.

-John

Great review John. I've been following the Fusion users on Scubaboard for some time now waiting to hear some bad news. It hasn't come yet. I only wish I had a local dealer that had one to see.

John, Great review. Not having had the chance to dive mine yet but having tried it on a few times now it was alomost like I was there and review answered a lot of questions for me.

What size boots did you get and what fin are you diving if I may ask? I have the same boots in size ten and XL Slipstreams dry fitting them I find the boots to be too big for these fins.

Regards

John, Great review. Not having had the chance to dive mine yet but having tried it on a few times now it was alomost like I was there and review answered a lot of questions for me.

What size boots did you get and what fin are you diving if I may ask? I have the same boots in size ten and XL Slipstreams dry fitting them I find the boots to be too big for these fins.

Regards

Hi Scott,

I wear a size 12 (US) street shoe, and I got a size 13 Altera boot. They fit nicely in my Turtle fins, but do not fit at all in XL Jets.

Great review John. I've been following the Fusion users on Scubaboard for some time now waiting to hear some bad news. It hasn't come yet. I only wish I had a local dealer that had one to see.

I have spoken to Mike @ Dive Right In Scuba about these suits. He will ship you one to try on if you like. You should give him a shout, he's usually on the board during the day.

I think I'm going to drive to Chicago next weekend and try one on.

Hi Scott,

I wear a size 12 (US) street shoe, and I got a size 13 Altera boot. They fit nicely in my Turtle fins, but do not fit at all in XL Jets.
Thanks for the info. We have no LDS's in the area that carry any of the fins I am looking at so it's tough to find the right ones. I would like to stick with Jets just for the negative aspect of them (plus I like Jets) but mine are large and no were near large enough. I bought Slips in XL for vacation diving for weight and they are small for the boots I have also. With the size your wearing boots if they fit well it sounds like for my size 10's they will be too big. I might have to order and try the XL Jets and see if they will work. Thanks for the input.

I have spoken to Mike @ Dive Right In Scuba about these suits. He will ship you one to try on if you like. You should give him a shout, he's usually on the board during the day.

I think I'm going to drive to Chicago next weekend and try one on.

I would ABSOLUTELY recommend Mike if you don't have a dealer in your area. He was absolutely awesome to work with.

I loved my Evo boots because of the tread and the ankle support, but they were a little too big for me, and wouldn't fit in my fins. I tried going up to an XL Jet and absolutely hated them. I gave up the boots and went to a wetsuit bootie which lets me use my old fins.

LG, with the boots, you can take the hook of the altera boot off and shorten the shock cord, then put the hooks back on so the slack is gone and it fits tighter....You can still use your lace method, I have in the past, but dont hesitate to trim it down :wink:

Great writeup!!! My suit is coming today and being dove extensively this weekend at Mermet Springs. Doing 3 dives friday, then DMing 2 OW classes and 1 Advanced for both Sat and Sunday in 47 degree water....I will be using the MK2 and tech skin and will keep people posted. I am pretty stuffed up at this point so I hope that doesnt interfere with my diving as Im keeping myself doped up on decongestant to alleviate this

If your looking to try the suit, I have been sending out NEW suits for people to try. We collect and verify your credit card, send you the suit and you get to try it on. If you decide to keep it, we get the rest of what your looking for(undergarment, boots, etc) and get them on the way to you and you keep the suit while we ring you up accordingly. I have one in Florida to Melanie and one in Indiana to Lisa right now....Should be hearing from them today.....My assumption is they will keep the suits, but if not its not a big deal just ship it back.....PM so we dont thread jack which it seems in my doped up decongestant state Im doing :D

GREAT THREAD LG!! Very Informative and thought out!!!

Well, my suits not coming today :( I had stressed the importance to Whites, production was too busy, and nobody informed me until about 5 minutes before the suit should have gotten here that it wouldnt be here.....Sooooo.....I will have to provide feedback later....what a let down....

Scott M....wanna send me yours :D I will put it to good use

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom