Solved: Who am I talking to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@The Chairman

Dear sir,
Would you consider making dive professionals (DM and above) immediately distinct from 'just divers' on this fine social board? I gain a lot of insight by being able to determine the 'flavor' of the poster and have recently been greatly surprised to learn of their professional status. I find this to be most unsettling.

It matters. You (posters) are or aren't posting as a professional. The unwashed massed don't always know this. Your SB persona does not reflect this as it should. No, we aren't all the same. Professionalism comes with obligations, titles, and transparency.

Show yourselves...

I'm closing in on 1,000 posts (10+ years) and will reach that long before 1,000 dives. The turtle wins the race. Guess I'm a Bubblemaker.
Wait, I'm confused. On my profile it says 9,918 "messages". Does that mean 9,918 posts? Is that possible in just 10 years? If messages doesn't mean posts, what does it mean and how do I find how many posts I have?
I still have 113 Trophy Points, which hasn't changed since that was added when SB "changed over" a couple of years ago--it's never changed and I don't know what it means.

Yeah. I'm lost where lowviz is behaving badly. Last I knew, Pete & Bob were headed toward divorce.

Some of the below seem a bit like 'poke the bear/people and see what happens'. And yes, Pete and Bob might benefit from a private therapist.

Random does not concern me in the least.

Like I said, you can tell when I'm exaggerating as I attempt to go all the way when I do.

Nobody bit on that one. Oh well.

I was born wired as an engineer and a humanist. Perturb the system, observe the response. Do no harm.

I am not, and have never been, an agent provocateur. I somewhat resent the implication. Plese show me where I denied someone their self-esteem, intelligence, or worth.

All that seemed better out of basic. Though I did not invoke the mods.

Some of the below seem a bit like 'poke the bear/people and see what happens'. ...
Well, yes. Please note that I do not ever poke individuals. However, if you feel 'poked' please do respond.

This thread isn't about me, let's all get over it. Please re-read post #1.

...//... All that seemed better out of basic. Though I did not invoke the mods.
No worries. If you didn't you should have (IMHO). This thread feels better here.

Mods work in mysterious ways...

Perturb the system, observe the response. Do no harm.

I am not, and have never been, an agent provocateur. I somewhat resent the implication. Please show me where I denied someone their self-esteem, intelligence, or worth.

First - you long ago lost control of this thread and there have been many posts by many others. My post was not aimed at you per se. That you assumed that out of all these posts it must have been about you speaks to you, not my post.

Second - My point that as a child I liked to roil the pot as opposed to having a real conversation was something I, most of the time, have grown out of. That had nothing to do with self-esteem or intelligence. My Dad and my Aunt were both intelligent folks in their own equally stubborn ways. It was about real conversation.

Third- Your first quote above states that you like to perturb the system just to get a reaction as opposed to generating any meaningful conversation in a constructive way. As do some of your other quotes. Not saying that you are insulting anybody. By your own admission you are just playing a game.

Some of the below seem a bit like 'poke the bear/people and see what happens'.
Well, yes. Please note that I do not ever poke individuals. However, if you feel 'poked' please do respond.

This thread isn't about me, let's all get over it. Please re-read post #1.
I'm not feeling poked, but I believe you've made my point in response to Trace's question.

I don't know about others who hold professional memberships as divemasters or instructors with agencies and organizations, but more than once PSAI has requested that I delete or change posts or videos I've contributed to social media. I've tried to behave in social media like I might in real life by showing respect to others. I've also tried to post professionally as one who'd be considered a dive pro, but I have also thought about not advertising a professional rating in any way. Truth be told, I think my agency might prefer that. I can only imagine some of the fallout some pros might experience if their pro status and agency affiliations were a must. It does change the way one might choose to participate and the enjoyment they might get by participating in social media.

You inspired me to update my signature. Thanks for that!

First - you long ago lost control of this thread ...
Never had it. The only control that I could imagine would be to report a post as the OP and have the thread altered.

Your first quote above states that you like to perturb the system just to get a reaction as opposed to generating any meaningful conversation in a constructive way. ...
first part is fact, second part is your assumption. I would submit to you that some of the most thought-provoking posts were from random posters responding in their own way to this thread.

Apologies, but I like to drop the reins and see where events take me. I am an imperfect person. A student of life.

Ok, this “who poked who first” line of discussion is triggering flashbacks to my kids fighting in the back of my minivan.

Back
Top Bottom