Solved: Who am I talking to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@The Chairman

Dear sir,
Would you consider making dive professionals (DM and above) immediately distinct from 'just divers' on this fine social board? I gain a lot of insight by being able to determine the 'flavor' of the poster and have recently been greatly surprised to learn of their professional status. I find this to be most unsettling.

It matters. You (posters) are or aren't posting as a professional. The unwashed massed don't always know this. Your SB persona does not reflect this as it should. No, we aren't all the same. Professionalism comes with obligations, titles, and transparency.

Show yourselves...

I happen to like those who speak their mind on SB on topics and speak with a background of actually relevant knowledge and experience. Professional or not. I like them much over those that speak strictly within the boundaries of agency rules and guidelines. And if somebody happened to be a professional, but chose to not hang a professional shingle under the avatar here for peace of mind should they choose to not be completely restraint by agency whatnot on this special SB place, then that's just fine with me... just fine...

There are titles and titles that can show who you are talking to, but trying to enforce that over a quarter million users is beyond my ability.

Best Practices for anyone employed in the Dive Industry is full disclosure. You'll earn a solid reputation by putting your professional affiliation(s) in your signature line. Real names, phone numbers, website URLs, Physical addresses and such are a perfect addition to your signature line. Think of them as benign, yet effective free advertising on the world's largest website devoted to diving. Do you have to do this? Of course not. However, it's the right thing to do.

What if you know someone who's in the industry and yet doesn't pimp their creds in their signature line? Please assume that they are ignorant and not evil. Send them a PM (Conversation) and tell them how important it is for them to practice full disclosure and include this link: https://www.scubaboard.com/community/account/signature Kindly ask them to tell us who they are in real life and tell them that it will benefit them with hordes of divers breaking down their doors looking for the training style they advocate on the board. It certainly works for me. Hell, you can even point them to this conversation and this is a good time for our peeps to chime in on how important this is for them.

Beyond that, it's caveat legit cave!: Let the reader beware!

To my embarrassment when I switched from desktop viewing exclusively to mobile 6 years ago I forgot signatures could be added. Now I better future out something to put there.

In my mobile viewing I can not see anyone's signature. Note the attached image.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-09-13-44-03.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-09-13-44-03.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 78
A trick to view sigs on a mobile device - turn your phone 90 degrees to the left or right (aka hold your phone in landscape mode instead of portrait mod) - now you can see signatures!

To my embarrassment when I switched from desktop viewing exclusively to mobile 6 years ago I forgot signatures could be added. Now I better future out something to put there.

In my mobile viewing I can not see anyone's signature. Note the attached image.

I totally get that, Tom.

But in my profession (Code of Ethics | National Society of Professional Engineers) you don't get to be whatever you want to suit the moment.

So a scuba professional can spout off his/her loose opinions on the board yet come done on someone when it suits them?

The papers, web, and life are full of all sort of professionals making statements. Sometimes correct, sometimes not, sometimes not. I do not see the point of it. This forum has lots of people with lots of experiecnes and lots of different philosophies. That makes it interesting.

My unprofessional opinion is I do not see the need for this change.

Agressive is one thing. A trumpistic put down is quite another and deserves rebuttal. Here's what he said after a number of honest replys:

Well then, that really speaks to my perception of dive professionals. No standards, no ethics.
WOW!

Ok, then. Sorry that I've been away since that post, unavoidable.

So let's start with the common debate tool of exaggeration to tease out someone's nebulous stance on a topic. I have learned through hard experience that if one is to exaggerate for effect, then one must exaggerate to the extreme or somebody will see it as me stating my position. I find it hysterical that in this day of moronic presidential statements that exaggeration has been lost as a 'working tool' in discussions.

As to butt-hurt. I've been on this board for a few years and anybody who wasted their valuable time reading m posts knows that butt-hurt just doesn't figure for me. I don't have an axe to grind, but I do love a lively discussion and can take a hit.

So let's speak to the root of the issue. I speak in various voices depending on the intended audience. I also learn much from the professionals on this board. Do I want it both ways? I suppose so. I love learning from others and also try to smooth the path for the less experienced. I don't want to pay for it? Wrong. I have a stack of cards that I only bring up as to highlighting what it cost me in time, money, travel, and effort.

Edit:

Wait, wait! I didn't answer the question as to why I started this thread. I despise starting to answer a poster who I don't recognize, assuming he/she is a newbie only to discover he/she is a dive professional.

-carry on. Most interesting responses...

Last edited:
I do believe that if one stays long enough on this board, one realizes who imparts valuable information/advice, and those who do not. It takes a bit of effort, but that is the most effective filter in my opinion. Also, I don't believe people should few comments by people as Gospel, but rather take those comments into consideration moving forward. Exceptions would be someone like Dr. Mitchell posting about the latest decompression research.

...//... That's my picture and Steve C is my name. :)
Well played, Sir! That one stung. :)

I chose that avatar as it well represents my diving and doesn't give anyone the impression that I'm anything more than a mudpuppy.

I'll see your hand, but I won't raise. (I have too much personal info on the web as it is.)

Dennis_L
Dennis_L.JPG

Wow - in this day and age?
So, you're not on Facebook?

Judge me by what I know, and by how well I can put that knowledge into words that mean something to the reader ... not by the number and type of certifications I might have. Most of those cards got tossed into a drawer and never looked at again.
I so agree with this statement, but I believe the OP is concerned about conflicts of interest. If he wasn't, he should be. If you sell Xwidgets and are all positive about Xwidgets on here, then I want to know about that. Even more so if you're posting negative crap about Zwidgets, your competitor.

This forum has lots of people with lots of experiecnes and lots of different philosophies. That makes it interesting.
Amen bro!

So let's start with the common debate tool of exaggeration to tease out someone's nebulous stance on a topic.
Godwin's law states that if you really want a response, just post something wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom