Who carries dive accident evacuation insurance?

Do you carry a Dive Accident evacuation insurance policy?

• Yes (DAN, DiveAssure, etc.)

Votes: 90 97.8%
  • No, I'm rolling the dice.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • No, I'm willing to pay my primary health carrier's deductible.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No, I'm covered under my DM/Instructor liability insurance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm covered under the Instructor's/DM's/Boat's general liability policy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, not arguing because I don't know.

Are you sure Tricare will pay $50,000 for chamber rides and $100,000+ air ambulance back to the States from some small island or remote country? Perhaps you don't go to these places, but I'm curious as to whether Tricare would actually cover these costs.

For Active Duty under Tricare Prime.....Yes they will pay it, as long as life or limb is threatened. DCS is considered life threatening. The most likely scenario in my neck of the woods would to be transported to a military hyperbaric chamber, which would be less hassle than going to duke....but yes Due would be covered as well as any ambulance ride...Air or otherwise.

---------- Post added December 11th, 2013 at 10:37 AM ----------

I too have Tricare, but would not want to rely on a government run plan to arrange for quick emergency transportation from a remote location. They just don't do anything quickly.

I have DAN.

I have DAN as well. But realize that Tricare wouldnt be arranging for anything, they would just cover the costs on the backside. DAN will arrange for those things regardless of if you have insurance or not, however if a persons insurance doesnt cover such things they are stuck with the bill.....thus most sensable divers purchase DAN insurance or the like.

Just curious, not arguing because I don't know.

Are you sure Tricare will pay $50,000 for chamber rides and $100,000+ air ambulance back to the States from some small island or remote country? Perhaps you don't go to these places, but I'm curious as to whether Tricare would actually cover these costs.

I have Tricare but I carry DAN as well.

According to the Tricare website they will reimburse for chamber costs in the event of DCS. It's explicitly listed as a benefit.

They also reimburse for medevac costs, although it's a little more complicated. The service provider has to submit a claim to Tricare with the beneficiary listed as the payee. Tricare will cut a check to the beneficiary who is then responsible for paying the provider.

Links: http://blogs.militarytimes.com/tricarehelp/tag/outside-the-u-s/

http://www.tricare.mil/CoveredServices/SeeWhatsCovered/HyperbaricOxygenTherapy.aspx?p=1

-Adrian

Back
Top Bottom