Who doesn't do snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any agencies out there that do not require snorkel as "Open Water Equipment" for students? I know that DIR agencies are not fond of it and possibly PSAI? Other than these, it seems to be mandatory in most agency standards that I have read.

RSTC requires a snorkel for all compliant agencies. A few agencies (RAID being the only one i know for sure) have an added skill of removing and replacing a pocket snorkel while face is in water. This allows them to only require a pocket snorkel and not have to wear it on the side of their mask all the time yet still keep RSTC happy.

So RSTC basically demands snorkel on the body of the diver and not on their face right? With that interpretation. any instructor can teach the above described method while still being within the standards of their respective agency?

Hopefully, agencies will eventually catch up with what divers are doing - diving sans snorkel.

Very similar to solo diving, where some agencies now offer a solo certification, you will be able to pay extra to get certified to dive without a snorkel.

Naturally, there will be an Advanced Sans Snorkel SCUBA class for those that want to dive deeper than 60ft without a snorkel.

NAUI no longer requires it for the open water course. PADI still has it listed in the 2020 IG.

Here is an interesting note - NAUI standards state "minimum equipment to be worn"; PADI standards state "make sure divers have, at a minimum..."

So RSTC basically demands snorkel on the body of the diver and not on their face right? With that interpretation. any instructor can teach the above described method while still being within the standards of their respective agency?

My understanding is that any agency COULD but not all agencies allow it. RSTC sets minimum requirements but each agency dictates there own procedures to meet and/or exceed those requirements.
With a strong trend toward primary donate, acceptance of long hose for recreational use, and integration of sidemount into entry level learning.. the way of the permanent snorkel is fading in many progressive and “tec” agencies standards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom