Who gave this guy a cave card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must not have listened to the same guy I did. He pretty clearly said his idea was to breath out of his wing to build up CO2 until he passed out, rather than run out of gas and drown while conscious. Then realized the better way out was to focus on the issues at hand and get out of the cave instead of dying.

I've never even heard of this guy before this video, but it's kind of comical to me how he admitted to making mistakes and reacting out of fear, and the prevailing response is that everyone else in this thread is apparently more intelligent/skilled/whatever, and he's an idiot.

View attachment 567448
I got that part, but at first he says something like that he can get 20 big breaths out of it so that's why he decided to fill it up. It was a bit later that he says he's going to start rebreathing the air in it in order to kill himself. At least, that's how I understood it. I am not going to put myself through listening to him again.

Joe seems like a nice enough dude. But he gives idiots with dangerous ideas a platform and a megaphone.
totally dude...
5b9235bb5c5e5254548b59f5.jpeg

I believe the issue is how many seemingly basic mistakes he made for allegedly being an experienced, cave certified, diver. Like, how many times, prior to, and during, his freak out, that he let go of the line in the silt out?

Fair enough. I can't and won't comment on the specifics of the situation, as I'm not a cave diver and know nothing about it. What I can knowledgeably say is that I can recount several situations in my life where I screwed up the basics that I was most definitely trained for and experienced in the performance of, where those mistakes dramatically worsened my situation. Maybe I'm just not infallible like most people who hold a license or certification to do something.

As to being "illiterate" (I never saw him attempting to read or write to be able to judge his level of literacy..) and unable to discuss the topics...he's telling a story to someone who likely has no basis for comparison. He's not teaching a masterclass on cave diving.

Again, I don't know the first thing about cave diving, so maybe he said a bunch of stuff that's just horribly incorrect and I just don't know enough to recognize that stuff.

The issue of making mistakes under stress, to the point of endangering yourself and making a situation worse? Yeah, welcome to human nature. I too am a big fan of ridiculing the people who admit they made mistakes. It helps to foster an environment where people are afraid to admit to and share their mistakes publicly, so nobody has to worry about learning from someone else.

Edit: I honestly agree he's hard to listen to in general. He's not going to win any awards for being a skilled orator any time soon. But again, I don't see how that has any bearing on the subject of diving. Unless I took a wrong turn on my way to the forums where we discuss scuba diving, and wound up in the forums where we just insult people for whatever value that offers.

I get that this was a testosterone laden boast fest. How much of it actually happened? Who knows. He's talking to someone who is ignorant and trying to come off as a badass. He has no idea that actual cavers will be listening to his schlock. I don't thin I would do a cave dive with him, though.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom