Who has seen this shark????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duncan Campbell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am reading a really good book on sharks right now. It discusses dangers, myths, realities, etc. I am wondering if any of you guys has actually seen a Great White while diving??

check our shark sub-forum. Most of our non-regional shark postings end up in there.

I have not seen one and do not ever care to see one. Yet one of my friends was diving off the California Coast, North of San Francisco Bay, which is well known for them, and had a terrifying experience. So much so that he quite diving in the waters here. The story goes something like this. They jumped out of the boat in about 50 feet of water, with approximately 15 feet of clear visibility. Started their decsent, and when they reached around 30-35 feet a huge shadow passed over them. When they looked up, they saw a giant 18 foot Great White cruising over them. They decsended to the bottom (Too fast as he put it) and held position. Every couple of minutes the shark would pass overhead, but would just come out of no where due to the visibility. The shark was very consistent and after being on the bottom for over 40 minutes they decided to make a beeline for the boat before they ran out of air. Fortunately they made it safely to the boat and home to his wife and kids. My friend does not seem to embelish things and it came up in passing conversation, so I tend to believe him. Especially since it took an adrenaline junky fireman and scared the poop out of him.

I hope to never see one. :)

Luckily they are very, very uncommon around here.

Jikes Catherine we were there over Christmas and dove the crater..........oh my.

Happy Diving

Wow...stories came quicker than I thought... Let's expand it a bit. Lets hear some close-calls, etc... for any sharks. It's interesting...as I learn more about sharks it appears that some are designated as dangerous by one source and not another.. I suppose that as a whole we understand very little about sharks...

Holy God in Heaven, I would have had a heart attack at depth seeing an 18ft White, I'd be dead before he bit me.

We see large Stellar Sea Lions around here quite often. Its not a shark but let me tell you...they make you feel pretty small and insignificant in their home...

While great whites carry the banner as the baddest, aren't bulls actually more dangerous?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom