Who hates their White Fusion Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To deal with the overheating issue, I keep a big bottle of water to wet the suit down with. Makes a HUGE difference.

I've done this the past few dives and works a treat. With air temps in the mid 20s but water still around 14-15 it's saving me a lot of sweat. Thanks again for the great tip.

The longer I own my Fusion Tech (~70 dives), the more I like it. Donning is less and less struggle with practice. I've come to appreciate the zipper design, which is symmetrical and comfortable to wear unzipped between dives, yet also enables self-zipping.

I love my Fusion and like you the more time I spend with them, the bigger the love. This weekend we did longer and deeper cave dives so I decided to add an additional 200g thermals. With this suit you can change up thermals any way you like and have the same mobility and flexibility throughout while staying very streamlined. With my Fusion I can dive in the tropics or go ice diving.

I have never really grasped why divers find donning the suit to be "challenging". If you follow the video/instruction and understand the behavior of the suit, you will be able to don/dof the Fusion quicker or at least just as fast as any other suit out there.

The other understated thing is durability and build quality. The Bullet skin is seriously tough and can take a lot of abuse, same for the core. Those "trash bags" are amazingly strong.

One of the bigger advantages of the Fusion (at least for me) is the way in which the snug fit helps manage and distribute the bubble across the suit.

Last edited:
I'm also warming up to my Fusion again, especially after realizing that a hard-to-diagnose leak I was chasing after was not a leak at all, but simply a lot of condensation, which I had not experienced before. I don't have experience with any other suit, but the fact that you can put on weight, lose weight, add or remove undergarments, or even just dive with nothing but a base layer, and the suit still fits snugly regardless of what you do, is priceless... Add to it the mobility, the low weight, even if wet, the speed of drying... this is a fantastic suit, especially considering the low price point.

I really liked my fusion then started to have a love hate relationship with the gen 1 neck ring installed on it. But now that have a normal neck seal on it, we are best of buddies and go ding together often. This is my third dry suit and my favourite and it never judges me if I gain weight during the off season.

No problems with my Tech version...Even used it in the Red Sea, cold winds chill you down when you get out of the water... Don't dive som much dry nowadays, but when I do, it's like diving a 5mm wetsuit...and I think the other divers look a bit funny hanging almost vertical in the water :)

The Fusion Sport has been my only DS so far. Donning the suit was a little frustrating at first but the youtube videos showed a better way, so I'm not complaining about that. The suit originally came with a SiTech Neck-Tite which I immediately had removed as it really impacted the mobility of the suit. I might try the newer Neck-Tite system when the time comes.

Now, my for my only real complaint, the p-valve moves around. I installed the P-valve through the drycore only to avoid anchoring the Sport skin to the drycore. Due to the baggy fit of the drycore I can sometimes feel the P-valve not being perfectly flat to my leg. Doesn't effect use of the P-valve and isn't noticeable underwater, but I still find it annoying.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the suit although my next suit will likely be compressed neoprene for something different.

I've had a Fusion since 2008 or so, and I've put over 500 dives on her with the Bullet and Tech Limited skins; most dives were in Alaska in 32-45F water.

First (and most major) gripe: I hate the quality of White's sewing. The seams on the cuffs didn't last the first 50 dives. The seams on the original Tech Limited skin pockets didn't survive 25 dives with "Tech" contents in the pockets (backup mask, smb/spool, wet notes). My original MK1 undergarment also didn't make it through the first 50 dives. The MK2 made it about 100 dives, then it split on the waist seam. Some of the seams on the drycore are sewn.... that worries me, though they've been dry so far and seem to be wearing well. Most recently, the velcro on both ankles and on the neck has come off the drycore, and the suit is headed off to get that replaced as soon as it's done drying.

I also hate that the ankles are slightly undersized and that I -always- have difficulty getting my feet back out. I also think that the wrists are a tad narrow, and with the MK1 + MK2 undergarment (in size large, in a L/XL suit), I'm restricting circulation to my hands. I'd guess that I have average sized wrists/forearms and ankles/calves, and I get that I'm wearing a fair amount of undergarment... but still, I do wish it was cut just a tad more generously in those two areas.

I like the way the suit fits, in general, and I don't mind putting it on. There is a trick to it, and IMHO, you really need to be able to sit down to don it easily. The blue Bullet skin also looks really sharp, and I like the pockets on the Bullet skin (hated the pockets on the Tech Limited skin). The suit dives great, I don't have issues with flexibility (unless I'm diving with 3 undergarments), and it's been dry with no leaks; aside from condensation and the occasional failed p-valve duckbill.

Dealer support has likewise been fantastic (from DRIS), and far exceeds what my dive buddies receive from the local DUI shop. When the Tech Limited skin started falling apart prematurely, I was upgraded to the Bullet Skin (which had just been released) at no charge. The MK1 was also replaced under warranty. When I've had seals replaced, they come back looking factory new and flawless. All work has been done professionally and with a quick turnaround time. I love that.

Is it perfect, nah... but I don't think I'd gain $3k worth of value by replacing it with a Santi or DUI.

-B

I dove my fusion last weekend for the 1st time.
I agree that the wrists are a bit tight but none the less, I definitly love that suit.
bubble management is really easy and the suit is very streamlined.

I wonder what noticeable differences there are in the last year since Aqua Lung rebranded under their name.

One of the complaints I have with my Whites Fusion Bullet is when you load the pockets with anything they sag. That was addressed last year by Aqua Lung I know.

My other issue is how the neck seal ring along with the zipper limits some range of motion.

I'm sure the sport and tec skins are faster drying but the bullet takes a while.

I'll dive my Fusion in our local cave because I can't bring myself to squeeze and wiggle my Santi through some of the places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also warming up to my Fusion again, especially after realizing that a hard-to-diagnose leak I was chasing after was not a leak at all, but simply a lot of condensation, which I had not experienced before. I don't have experience with any other suit, but the fact that you can put on weight, lose weight, add or remove undergarments, or even just dive with nothing but a base layer, and the suit still fits snugly regardless of what you do, is priceless... Add to it the mobility, the low weight, even if wet, the speed of drying... this is a fantastic suit, especially considering the low price point.

When I first started diving dry I too was convinced I had a leak, couldn't believe that much water was coming from sweat and condensation. The thing that finally convinced me it wasn't leaking was the moisture did not taste at all salty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom