Who is ice diving this season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes @AfterDark ..it is fun , but all you are really saving is the time to cut the hole . its still defined as overhead ...and you still need to rope in and observe ALL the procedures , and as a course all the same liability for the instructor .

You can do as you wish. However having done this a time or two and lived to tell about it. I see no reason to use a line when bottom contour and a compass will get you back to the egress. Also the ability to pop thru the ice anywhere negates the need for a line according to my procedures. What instructor? When I do this I'm solo.

Looks like we're getting a deep freeze this weekend. I'll be keeping an eye on Beach Pond if it freezes over I'll be going. I just got let go from my job of 21 years so now I'm semi-retired and have plenty of time! I'm looking forward to doing a lot of diving in 2019!

For what it’s worth, we’re diving a local lake here in SE Michigan on Saturday. PM me if you’re interested: we’d love to have you (whoever “you” is). @Dive Right In Scuba has a class going so they’ll have an ice dive coming up too. White Star Quarry has an ice dive Saturday morning.

At least the polar vortex is good for making ice... :)

cool good luck and have fun !!!

Back
Top Bottom