Who is interested in a new kind of BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trash

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a dive manufacturer to take an interest in a new buoyancy control device that I recently filed a patent application for. So far the North American makers I've contacted have been ice cold. Ranging from no reply to my initial inquiry, to simply wrong observations after briefly looking at the drawings (such as, "it's too complicated" or "prior art precludes it").

I gather that if they don't see a bladder they don't see a BCD. Now don't get me wrong, I think bladders are great for buoyancy on the surface and lifting weight off the bottom, but they evolved from the old Mae West life vest and have real problems. Just as foam rubber dive suits lose buoyancy with depth, so do current BCDs making them part of the problem of buoyancy control. I know some of the companies have been working on the problem by using electric valves and microcontrollers but that would just make the old Mae West 'even better'. :wink:

Now mine uses an adjustable air chamber to produce buoyancy that does not change with depth but is different from the other 'hard' buoyancy designs of the past, which use a tank with mixed air and water. It's also smaller because it is only used for buoyancy control while a bladder can do the jobs of backup, floating, and lifting. PM me if you want to know more.

Does anyone know (or are you part of) a company that is truly interested in, and willing to fully examine the potential of my new BCD?

Thanks, Trevor Roseborough

Sounds...... interesting. Seems like you're being a little vague.. maybe give us a link to the patent application? I'm having trouble figuring out what you're talking about.

my suggestion would be instead of sending in plans, build a few prototypes
and demonstrate them for potential investors, whether large or small

Well, what is it? You have the patent after all.

You've got my interest as a diver!!

trash:
I've been trying to find a dive manufacturer to take an interest in a new buoyancy control device that I recently filed a patent application for. So far the North American makers I've contacted have been ice cold. Ranging from no reply to my initial inquiry, to simply wrong observations after briefly looking at the drawings (such as, "it's too complicated" or "prior art precludes it").

Is your application a provisional or non-provisional?

Their statement that "prior art precludes it" would indicate that it's not an original idea and they'd be encroaching on someone else's patent. What you need to do is find that prior art and improve the design.

Build some prototypes and let us test them for you, make reports, etc, and I think it would be better if we tested your new device in the Galapagos or Fiji or someplace like that. Seriously, lets do it.

talk to cool_hardware52, Tobin is an equipment manufacturer that may be able to give you some solid advice..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom