Who is responsible for what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the answer Edward and obviously I didn't read that before. But OD training doesn't encompass navigation, when are we supposed to learn that? Is it during recreational dives (obviously) or/and is it part of SD scheme (what I supposed before)?

During your Ocean Diver training you should have been taught pilotage , which is a form of navigation using static objects.

The theory was in OT5 and it should have been demonstrated with you having your first practise in OO2. Later dives would have built your experience of using this type of navigation, hence the limitation on two ODs diving in conditions that they've previously experienced.

You are welcome to come to any of the monthly training sessions I run in Loch Fyne and have a dive. Once I'm happy your pilotage skills are OK you could dive with another OD.

Kind regards

Last edited:
This is my second post and first week on the forum and having read every complete post in each sticky thread of this specific forum, I have felt a great sense of maturing in the aspect of paying attention to detail and not rush anything. I begin my weekend class soon and already want more closed water time than what will be provided. I plan on future sessions on over the next few months before OW begins. Thanks for all of this great reading and time spent responding from all!

I impressed how difficult some instructors make an open water certification. I don't know how it works in many parts of the country, but here, it's not too difficult. The course is the same for 10 year old kids and MIT Grads.

If you are not yet certified, you can look on line and find information that makes scuba diving seem much more difficult. It is actually quite easy. Before you start, find an instructor who makes is sound easy, exciting and fun. If the instructor sounds like you are going to Marine Boot camp, turn and run.

Here is 90% of the OW course.

RELAX
Breathe
Pay attention to your instructor
RELAX
Enjoy the view
Keep an eye on your Pressure Gauge (occasionally... not every 10 seconds)
RELAX
Ascend slowly as you learned
Do a safety stop
RELAX
Get back on the boat.
Repeat often and you will master many skills without even trying.
oh yeah.... RELAX.... It's easy and fun

And not one mention of dive planning or the risks involved. Amazing and why this thread even came into being. This attitude and type of instruction that contributed to a divers death. And the deaths of more than a few others. :shakehead:

For anyone else who reads this please disregard the nonsense in the previous post.

I impressed how difficult some instructors make an open water certification. I don't know how it works in many parts of the country, but here, it's not too difficult. The course is the same for 10 year old kids and MIT Grads.

If you are not yet certified, you can look on line and find information that makes scuba diving seem much more difficult. It is actually quite easy. Before you start, find an instructor who makes is sound easy, exciting and fun. If the instructor sounds like you are going to Marine Boot camp, turn and run.

Here is 90% of the OW course.

RELAX
Breathe
Pay attention to your instructor
RELAX
Enjoy the view
Keep an eye on your Pressure Gauge (occasionally... not every 10 seconds)
RELAX
Ascend slowly as you learned
Do a safety stop
RELAX
Get back on the boat.
Repeat often and you will master many skills without even trying.
oh yeah.... RELAX.... It's easy and fun

I just read the opening post of this thread, and then the post I quoted here. The first post made an awful lot more sense. If it doesn't make sense to you, then consider that it is based on carefully assembled facts. Diving is one activity where taking your wishful thinking over reality could actually kill you. Take reality on its own terms, prepare accordingly, and a wonderful time can certainly be had while diving. Until you do that, you're counting on luck.

And not one mention of dive planning or the risks involved. Amazing and why this thread even came into being. This attitude and type of instruction that contributed to a divers death. And the deaths of more than a few others. :shakehead:

For anyone else who reads this please disregard the nonsense in the previous post.

Thank you Sargeant.... you make my point.

That was my intent and why I get people to fix who have been fed your same line of BS. I don't want to dive with people who have your attitude. I consider them a liability, unsafe, and dangerous. Someone taught by someone with your attitude is why this thread came about. A diver died. I had to train those who witnessed it after it happened. They came to me because of attitudes like yours.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I thought reck diver was being sarcastic from the get go.

What was it Myagi said.... "No bad students, only bad teachers."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom