Who is responsible for what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I impressed how difficult some instructors make an open water certification. I don't know how it works in many parts of the country, but here, it's not too difficult. The course is the same for 10 year old kids and MIT Grads.

If you are not yet certified, you can look on line and find information that makes scuba diving seem much more difficult. It is actually quite easy. Before you start, find an instructor who makes is sound easy, exciting and fun. If the instructor sounds like you are going to Marine Boot camp, turn and run.

Here is 90% of the OW course.

RELAX
Breathe
Pay attention to your instructor
RELAX
Enjoy the view
Keep an eye on your Pressure Gauge (occasionally... not every 10 seconds)
RELAX
Ascend slowly as you learned
Do a safety stop
RELAX
Get back on the boat.
Repeat often and you will master many skills without even trying.
oh yeah.... RELAX.... It's easy and fun

well, one important and simple point was made - pay attention to your instructor. Admittedly a bit of a broad statement, but why make the assumption that said instructor did not discuss dive planning, gas management, etc.?

I beg to differ. Even good instructors get bad students sometimes. You can't expect an instructor to be a miracle worker. If nature failed to put something between the ears you can't expect the instructor to be able to compensate for it.

A good instructor will do all they can BUT sometimes the best thing an instructor can do is FAIL the person. Some agencies (I am not just talking about scuba diving here) make it very hard for the instructor to fail students. Some also make it hard ON the instructors who are ethical enough to fail someone they claim.... "there are no bad students" so it must be the instructor's failing!

Last edited:
So every student the world in any subject who failed can blame it all on the teacher? I think not!!! It takes two people for the learning process to happen and succeed, a teacher who wants to teach and a student who wants and is motivated to learn. Each person must take responsibility for their duties and function.

So every student the world in any subject who failed can blame it all on the teacher? I think not!!! It takes two people for the learning process to happen and succeed, a teacher who wants to teach and a student who wants and is motivated to learn. Each person must take responsibility for their duties and function.

X2 on that, sometimes you just can't open a closed mind or break down the resistance!

I have to believe that if an instructor is on the ball, he can see if an individual student has the capacity to successfully pass the course. Down were I am I see 6th graders doing just fine. I'm sure there are some students who are unable to successfully pass the course, I'm just saying that many times that can be the fault of the instructor.

I know instructors, some who scare their students out of succeeding, just as I know instructors who put their students at ease and make it easy and fun.

Yeah, I'll stand by what I said.

Yeah I remember a dive instructor who said "No way I could pass that student.. I have to appear in Coroners Court often enough as part of my regular job. I don't want to have to appear because someone I passed died scuba diving!" He is a VERY good and dedicated instructor!

This post has brought to my attention that I am responsible for myself just like when I am on the track racing or riding the street. It also gave me great info on what I need to focus on more. Some of these mentioned I have not realized or fully understood the reasoning. Thank you for the great post!

My bad, not intended for this thread as it was off topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom